A special thanks to our contributor Dawn Richards from D.M.R Fine Foods for this guest post and recipe – a delicious new way to think about cauliflower.
A Favorite Side Dish: Roasted Cauliflower with Capers and Golden Raisins
During my most recent travels to NYC, I had the pleasure of dining at the Italian food emporium known as Eataly. Although the eatery is laden with food choices that are seemingly endless, I settled on a delicious whole-roasted fish entrÃ©eâ€”and an amazing side dish of roasted cauliflower with capers and golden raisins dressed in a light balsamic drizzle. Reading the menu description of the dish, alone, had me salivating, and once I finally tasted it, I knew I’d have to have this again and again. I was determined to make my own similar creation back home in my kitchen. And so I did.
Roasting food is one of my favorite cooking techniques because it yields so much for rather minimal effort, typically. And roasting vegetables, in particular, allows their true essence and flavors to come alive, as the food releases its own natural, sweet goodness and caramelizes into tasty perfection. Roasting cauliflower is no different. The fragrant, nutty aroma it gives off is akin to the smell of freshly popped popcorn, and it needs little else to make it delectable. However, the special touches I enjoyed in my memorable side dish were not going to be left behind when I enjoyed this dish next.
While the roasted cauliflower is certainly the star, the capers, raisins and dressing are a strong supporting cast, with the tanginess of the capers and the sweetness of the raisins and balsamic marrying harmoniously into bright, fresh flavors balanced by the earthiness of the cauliflower.
And beyond its yum appeal, this dish cooks up easily in about 30 minutes (roasting time included) with little fuss or clean-up required. It’s a win-win dish that’s elegant enough for a formal dining affair, yet simple enough to enjoy as a casual, scrumptious bite.
So the next time you’re looking for another great side to pair with your main courses, this is a definite go-to that I’m sure you’ll enjoy again and again.
Recipe: Roasted Cauliflower with Capers and Golden Raisins
- 1 head of cauliflower, separated into florets
- olive oil, as needed
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place cauliflower florets on a baking sheet; drizzle with olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Roast cauliflower for 25 minutes in pre-heated oven until lightly toasted in color and tender, but still slightly firm, in texture. Remove from oven, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and toss in capers and raisins. Serve and enjoy!
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
What about you, do any of you have a new favorite side dish for the season?
About the blogger:
Dawn M. Richards is the owner of the food brand, D.M.R. Fine Foods, an award-winning home chef, caterer, culinary instructor, blogger, minister of the Gospel and J.D., who works in the corporate arena as a Senior Commercial and Contracts professional. As an avid food lover, Dawn enjoys sharing her passion for all things culinary. Visit Dawn online at dmrfinefoods.blogspot.com to learn more.
Latest posts by RecipeLion (see all)
- 10 BBQ and Grill Recipes to Drool Over This Summer - May 23, 2016
- Exclusive: Adia Benson from Food Network’s Cutthroat Kitchen Talks Next Season - May 19, 2016
- 13 Mother’s Day Recipes that will Make Mom Proud - May 3, 2016