Happy Saint Patrick’s Day… where here in America everybody’s Irish! All in good fun though, I really love this holiday, it always reminds me that spring is almost here. Also because I love all the food and it’s an excuse to drink green beer, I mean really that’s awesome.
But back to the food, it doesn’t all have to be about the corned beef. Cabbage and potatoes are part of an Irish staple and can be cooked in so many amazing and easy ways. Today I chose this Irish Cabbage Soup because it’s simple, light, yet full of flavor! (Also you could easily serve this alongside that corned beef ;))
I also think this soup would be healthy way to bring a little Irish flavor to your meal. You could serve it with a lean beef roast or roast chicken, if you don’t want the the fat of the corned beef.
So make up some of this tasty soup, then sit back, relax, throw on some Irish music, (maybe have a beer) and pretend you’re far away in an old Irish pub.
Easy Irish Cabbage Soup
Yields: Makes 5 cups
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 cup raw potato, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups green cabbage, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups broth or water
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- chopped parsley for garnish
How to Make:
- Heat butter in a skillet or Dutch oven.
- Add onion and saute until tender but not browned.
- Add potato, cabbage, salt, nutmeg and flour and mix.
- Add broth, cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Puree in blender or use a food mill. Add milk and reheat.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley.
That’s it, totally simple.
This recipe was featured at our good friend and sister site FaveDiet’s Blog Hop today, be sure to go check it out! It’s all about a healthy St. Patrick’s day, share a recipe for some easy link love back to your blog.
Have a great St. Patty’s Day! If you need more inspiration for dinner ideas you can check out this collection of Saint Patrick’s Day Recipes: 8 Fresh Dinner Ideas, Plus 3 New Bonus Recipes!