In many ways, flank steak is the perfect entree after a busy day. The prep and cook times are mere minutes, the flavor is outstanding, and leftovers will reward you with another quick, delicious, no-cook dinner.
I am a big fan of spice rubs for the flavor they impart and the ability to sprinkle them on the meat moments before grilling. Rubs are perfect for those evenings when you didn’t plan ahead but still want a great dinner. A simple bag of greens, a baked sweet or regular potato (hurried up in the microwave, if need be), even your favorite frozen veggies will create a wonderful meal.
One of my favorite quick dinners is leftover flank steak, sliced thinly, and served atop a salad of mixed greens, halved tomato grapes, corn kernels, chopped celery or blanched broccoli and whatever else I might have on hand–all drizzled with a healthier, homemade ranch dressing. It’s like one of those fabulous restaurant salads, only cheaper and better! A side of cornbread or a slice of your favorite quick bread makes the meal extra special.
This time around, since I love how the flavors of blue cheese and tomatoes compliment the steak, I devised a topping starring these two ingredients. Sometimes, you see blue cheese and butter combinations melting over a hot steak, but I like the idea of something a little lighter yet equally flavorful. Plus, this topping is incredible spilled over into your veggie, salad, or even potato sides.
Note: I used The Mystic Blue Spice Company‘s Montreal Steak Seasoning for this meal. The flavor was much like that of the brand I’ve purchased before but with the added kick of cayenne. It was flavorful, delicious, MSG and preservative-free. I will most definitely use it again as an exceptional, all-natural seasoning.
For the Flank Steak:
- Flanks steaks, grass-fed if possible (number depending upon how many you are serving; plan for leftovers!)
- Montreal steak seasoning, preferably an all natural blend
Allow steaks to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes prior to grilling. Sprinkle seasoning over both sides of the steaks. Over high heat, grill for approximately 6-8 minutes per side for medium rare. This will depend a bit on the thickness of the steaks. (Ours was about 1-inch thick and took the higher end of this range.) Flank steak will be tenderer if it is cooked to medium rare. Allow it to rest for about five minutes before slicing to allow the juices to redistribute. Then, slice thinly across the grain. Spoon the Greeked-Out Gorgonzola and Tomato Salsa over the top, if desired.
For the Greeked-Out Gorgonzola and Tomato Salsa:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup (a 6-ounce cup) plain Greek yogurt (I use Chobani non-fat for this dressing)
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (I often use gorgonzola)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (If I’m in a hurry I sometimes skip this)
- kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper (I use about a 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and a few turns of the pepper grinder, but use how much you like)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives (optional but provide great added flavor)
- buttermilk for thinning to desired consistency (can use regular milk or even water–I like approximately 3 tablespoons of buttermilk)
- a pint box of tomato grapes
- chopped chives or parsley, for garnish
In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, yogurt, Worcestershire, garlic, and salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the blue cheese and chives, then add a little buttermilk to reach your preferred consistency. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Note: It is a good idea to keep the dressing on the thick side, as the juice from the tomatoes will thin it slightly. You can thin more for use as a salad dressing, if you like.
When ready to serve, cut the amount of tomatoes you wish to use in halves or quarters. Then, toss the tomatoes with the dressing to coat and sprinkle with additional herbs, if desired. The remaining dressing will be perfect on a big dinner salad topped with leftover sliced steak for an easy dinner later in the week.
Latest posts by FaveHealthyRecipes (see all)
- Post-Workout Healthy Recipes for the New Year - January 9, 2017
- 15 Best Healthy Recipes for Your New Year’s Resolutions - December 30, 2016
- 14 Gluten Free Copycat Recipes + Swiss Diamond Fry Pan Giveaway! - December 13, 2016