Looking for something different to serve up this Sunday at your Super Bowl extravaganza? Have we got the thing for you.
Step aside boring nachos, this Super Bowl Sunday it’s all about the salad.
Yes, the salad.
Small edible cups arranged with your favorite variations of salad can cause a big stir. Complete with miniature football players and a pasta scrimmage lines, this Super Bowl XLV appetizer will score huge points amongst your friends as the Pittsburgh Steelers tackle the Green Bay Packers at the Cowboys Stadium on February 6th.
Delicious, guilt-free and very filling, this little salad cup recipe from The Barn Inn Bed & Breakfast in Millersburg, Ohio, is high on taste and relatively low on calories. Plus, your guests get to take home a teeny tiny uniformed souvenir. So, go ahead, come back for seconds… it’s a long game.
Ingredients for Corn Bread Salad:
- 1 pkg. Jiffy corn bread mix
- 1 pkg. Ranch dressing mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 can pinto beans or black beans
- 1 cup whole kernel sweet corn
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 jar bacon bits
Mix the corn bread according to package instructions and bake in either a pan or cup cake liners. Cut into squares or crumble into a bowl. Set aside. Mix vegetables in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix mayonnaise, sour cream, and ranch dressing. In a 9″ x 13″ pan or serving bowl, layer half of the corn bread, half of the vegetables, and half of the cheese, half of the bacon and half of the dressing. Repeat layers. Organize salad cups into rows (photo shows seven rows and four columns but adjust your “field” to your tray size). Use a few cooked strands of spaghetti or cheese to show the scrimmage lines and cake decorations (or small toys) are positioned as football players. Pretzels or chocolate make great goal posts.
Here’s a close-up of an individual corn bread salad cup.
PS – with all the great food, don’t forget to watch the game!
Latest posts by RecipeChatter (see all)
- Enter for a Chance to Win a Cookie Cake of Your Favorite Presidential Candidate from GourmetGiftBaskets.com - October 31, 2016
- Top Three Reasons You Should Be Using Slow Cooker Liners + PanSaver Slow Cooker Liners Giveaway - October 25, 2016
- 10 Thanksgiving Preview Recipes + Sweet Potato Love Book Giveaway! - October 24, 2016