Once again, thank you to Kristy from Mommy Hates Cooking for this helpful post.
Utilizing Fresh Garden Produce
It’s nearly time to clean out the gardens, or in my case ours dried out on about the 40th day of record breaking heat.
In our garden, we had quite the learning experience and came out with a large amount of squash and that was about it. For others though you likely have an abundance of squash, potatoes, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, onions, eggplants and many more delicious vegetables. Now, it’s time to think about what to make with the wonderful produce.
It’s nice to eat fresh produce straight from the garden with just a little salt or sugar; however, it’s also nice to dress the produce up with summer salads or marinated veggies. After gardening, I enjoy adding fresh tomatoes to salads or recipes regardless if they call for them. Adding a little bit of fresh produce to a pasta dish can add color and flavor.
If you prefer to make specific dishes utilizing your produce, I have provided a Top 5 list of my favorite ways to make fresh produce even tastier.
Top 5 Recipes to utilize your Summer Garden:
1. Marinated Heirloom Tomatoes – These are just gorgeous. This is a sure way to dress up your dinner table with added color.
2. Fresh Squash Chips – This is how we will be eating the abundance of squash we grew this year. Sometimes it’s nice just to enjoy raw veggies with your favorite dip.
3. Chipotle Chicken Kabobs – These are likely one of my favorite main dishes to utilize the summer produce. The kabob can be dressed with fresh produce and grilled to perfection.
4. Potato Salad – Do you have a lot of potatoes to use up? Try this potato salad that was featured on Food Network by Eric Warren.
5. Sliced Tomatoes with Pesto – Here is another alternative to sliced tomatoes, serving them up with a little pesto.
Now as we enjoy a slice of our produce, it’s time to start thinking about next year’s garden. Are you planning to do anything different next year, or did you have a good crop this year?
About the blogger:
Kristy Still is the creator of Mommy Hates Cooking, wife to a loving husband and mother to an energy filled toddler. She realized after her son was born that her cooking skills were going to have to go up a notch to keep healthy food on the table for her family. There was only one problem, she hates cooking. She ended up making the decision to start her own blog as an attempt to find motivation and share her trials with others. To learn more about Kristy be sure to check out her featured foodie profile on RecipeLion.
Latest posts by RecipeLion (see all)
- Shrimp Scampi + Ultimate Holiday Food Prize Pack Giveaway - December 8, 2016
- Orange Spice Cranberry Sauce + Tovolo Giveaway - December 7, 2016
- Berry Shortcake + Architec Giveaway - December 6, 2016