If you’re planning to live it up today–Fat Tuesday–one of the best foods to indulge in might be ham–as those who observe Lent are traditionally prohibited from eating meat on Ash Wednesday and all Fridays during Lent.
In addition, if you’re getting started on brainstorming Lent promises, one might be to try to be less wasteful or more frugal. The editors at RecipeLion.com have a list of 11 Exciting Leftover Ham Recipes, Videos and Cooking Tips that can help you get started. You won’t have to throw out or waste food after checking out these neat recipes that help you to re-use leftover ham.
Here’s a closer look at one of my favorite recipes for leftover ham:
- 6 cups potatoes, sliced and peeled
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 4 ounces American cheese, shredded
- 10 3/4 ounces can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
1. In slow cooker, layer half each of the potatoes, onion, ham and cheese, repeat layers.
2. In small bowl, combine soup, milk and thyme, pour over top.
3. Cover, cook on high setting for 1 hour.
4. Reduce to low setting, cook for 6 to 8 hours or until potatoes are tender.
Another classic ham dish that I really enjoy is our recipe for Pan Grilled Monte Cristo Sandwich:
- 8 ounces cooked ham, thinly sliced
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 slices Vienna or French bread
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1. Place 2 oz. ham and 1 slice cheese on each of 4 bread slices. Top with remaining bread.
2. In shallow dish beat together eggs and milk. Dip sandwich in egg mixture, turning carefully, until all mixture is absorbed.
3. Melt butter in large skillet or on a griddle. Carefully transfer sandwiches to pan and cook slowly for about 15 minutes.
4. Carefully turn and continue cooking about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
For more leftover ham recipes, see our list of 11 Exciting Leftover Ham Recipes, Videos and Cooking Tips.
If you’re interested in additional leftover ham recipes, check out:
Latest posts by AllFreeSlowCookerRecipes (see all)
- Make Delicious Father’s Day in with Your Slow Cooker - June 12, 2017
- Memorial Day BBQ With Your Slow Cooker - May 25, 2017
- 10 German Recipes to Make in Your Slow Cooker - May 11, 2017