I formed a new found obsession as of late – making my own homemade fries at home. Whether it’s sweet potato fries, regular baked fries or zucchini, I can’t get enough of it. So with my latest foray in the fry making world I tried something new, eggplant! Why I never attempted this before is beyond me, because it was beyond easy, made tons of fries and is probably pretty much healthier for you than any of the previously mentioned fries!!
By taking a few of the various baked eggplant fries recipes out there on the net I was able to come up with my own easy recipe. One of the inspirations I found for these fries came from Virtually Vegan Mama with her Baked Eggplant with Lemon Dill Dipping Sauce. I plan to actually make this recipe one of these days as well!
Time to follow along and learn just how easy and YUMMY it can be to make your own crispy eggplant fries.
Recipe: Sarah’s Crispy Eggplant Fries
Cooking time: 12 to 15 minute(s)
- 1 eggplant, cut into strips
- 1 cup of egg subsitute
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat Oven to 450 degrees F.
2. First we must prepare the ingredients as described in the ingredients.
3. Peel your eggplant and then cut into 5 to 6 large slices, lengthwise.
4. Next slices the large slices into several long pieces to resemble fries (cut them as thick as you’d like, but not too thick or too thin).
5. Be sure to get your fry coating and bread crumbs ready to roll fries in.
6. Mix the egg substitute, oil, cider vinegar and spices (except sea salt) together in a bowl.
7. Spread out 1/4 of bread crumbs on a medium plate (enough to make thin layer).
8. Line 1 large or 2 medium baking sheets with foil (shiny side down) and spray with non-stick spray.
9. Dip a few pieces of eggplant at a time into the mixture and then roll into breadcrumbs. Place finished pieces onto greased baking sheet.
10. Keep doing this until you’ve coated all pieces and filled baking sheet (add more crumbs to plate as you run out).
11. Now place in preheated oven and bake 12 to 15 minutes (turning about half way through), or when lightly brown and desired crispyness has been achieved.
All done! I recommend dipping them in some ranch dressing or spaghetti sauce, it’s fantastic!
Try this recipe with potatoes or zucchini, it works great! Just be sure to pre-cook the potatoes slightly before slicing so they will cook faster.
Hope you enjoy this recipe for eggplant fries!