Green Been Casserole has become a staple at almost every holiday dinner party. Made with green beans, cream of mushroom soup and french fried onions, the original recipe was created in 1955 by the Campbell’s Soup company as a budget recipe. The idea was to create a quick and easy casserole that any American family could prepare with the ingredients they most likely had on hand. And that is how the American classic was created. Since then, green bean casserole has become a staple at the dinner table and also a family favorite.
An homage to the classic green bean casserole recipe, this brand new bake comes to us from our friends the Two Old Crabs. Made with fresh green beans, mushrooms, and their secret weapon, bacon, it truly is delicious. Baked so all of the ingredients make a mouthwatering creamy dish, it is then topped with French’s onions and cheddar cheese. Doesn’t it sound incredible? Make it for your family this holiday season and enjoy!
Cheesiest Green Bean Casserole
- 6 strips bacon, thinly sliced & fried crisp
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 c. fresh mushrooms, sliced thin
- 2 cups green beans, in bite-size pieces
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10.75 ounces) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (2.8 ounces) can fried onion rings, divided in half
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar/jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in skillet containing bacon drippings.
- SautÃ© the onions & mushrooms.
- Boil green beans in chicken broth for 10 minutes. Drain.
- In bowl, combine green beans, onions, mushrooms, bacon bits, half the fried onions, & mushroom soup.
- Season with salt & pepper & gently mix all together.
- Pour in prepared 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Roughly crush second half of fried onion rings & mix with shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle on top of casserole & bake another 10 minutes until cheese is melted.