We love potatoes, and who doesn’t? There are so many different things you can do with them. You can make a delicious creamy soup with them or make appetizer recipes for the family. Can you imagine eating a meatloaf dinner without mashed potatoes and gravy? We can’t. Add cheese to them, make them in a casserole, the list goes on and on of what you can do with potatoes.
This wonderful recipe comes from our friends the Two Old Crabs. Buttery and finger licking good, this potato dish will quickly become a family favorite! Fun to make, you get to smash the potatoes flat, and put cheese and bacon on them. That’s right, bacon! Treat your family to this wonderful side dish and dig in. Enjoy.
Roasted Smashed Potatoes
- 6 medium-small red potatoes
- olive oil
- 1 c. sour cream
- 3 T. melted butter
- 4 bacon strips, cooked crisp & crumbled
- chopped chives
- 1 clove garlic, minced & smashed
- 1/2 c. shredded Mexican blend cheese
- salt & pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
1. Preheat Oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Wash the potatoes and rub small amount of olive oil on them. Place on baking sheet.
3. Cover baking sheet tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes or until fork tender.
4. Remove foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
5. Space out potatoes on cutting board, so none are touching.
6. Cover bottom of large can with foil. We use a coffee can.
7. One at a time, cover potatoes with can and press down until flattened to about 1/2-inch thick.
8. Sprinkle with salt & pepper, and a light sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
9. Mix minced & smashed garlic with melted butter. Drizzle butter & garlic over potatoes.
10. Put in the oven and bake until golden brown. About 10 minutes.
11. Sprinkle with cheese and top with bacon pieces.
12. Put back in the oven until cheese melts.
13. Place dollop of sour cream in center of each potato and top with chives.