No matter what season of the year it is, we just love easy cake recipes. Cake brings the family together, and for some it brings a pause in the busy work day at offices. If you’re celebrating a birthday party or just looking for an idea for an after dinner dessert, cake is always a great choice.
This delicious layered cake recipe comes from our friends the Two Old Crabs. Layered with whipped cream, strawberries, and macaroons it’s a sweet treat for the family and guests. Strawberry Macaroon Layer Cake delivers in taste and will have you eating slice after slice. Enjoy!
Strawberry Macaroon Layer Cake
For the Cake:
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 envelope whipped topping mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
For the Filling:
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- 2 lbs. strawberries
- 16 macaroons
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 drop red food coloring
For the Frosting:
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/3 cup Crisco
- 4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2/3 cup cream
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 strawberries, sliced for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Bake 3 round cake layers as directed on package.
3. Completely cool cake layers on wire racks.
4. Rinse strawberries, remove tops, & cut into small chunks.
5. In medium size bowl, cream the cream cheese until it’s soft & pliable & smooth.
6. Add strawberry jam, sugar & food coloring and stir until completely incorporated.
7. Place macaroon cookies in medium size ziptop bag & using your rolling pin, crush them into crumbs.
8. Pour macaroons and strawberry chunks into bowl with softened cream cheese mixture.
9. Place cake layer on cake plate. Spread with half the macaroon mixture, stopping just before the edges of the cake.
10. Place the second layer, then spread with the remaining macaroon mixture.
11. Place the third layer on top.
12. To make the frosting, beat the butter and Crisco until combined.
13. Add the milk & cream alternately with the powdered sugar, beating until the frosting is completely smooth.
14. Add a small pinch of salt & the vanilla.
15. Frost the top and sides of the cake.
16. Cut your first slice and dig in.
Note: If you have any questions please watch the video. The video will more than likely have the answers for all of your questions. If not, leave a comment and we’ll help you out. Enjoy and happy eating!