So I love bacon, like really love it. But I know it’s not a good idea for me (or my waistline) to eat too much of it. Which is why when I’m craving a delicious BLT sandwich it makes it hard for me not to want to load on some juicy, crispy bacon. Because that’s the point of a BLT right? Well it doesn’t have to be. There are lots of ways to make your BLT a little less heart-attack prone and still be ultra tasty. So check out my recipe for a no guilt BLT below, plus plenty of variations and tips to shake things up. Enjoy!
Recipe: No Guilt BLT Sandwich
- 3 slices of turkey bacon
- 1 slice of low-fat marble jack or cheddar cheese
- 2 slices of Romaine lettuce
- 2 thin slices of tomato
- 1 teaspoon of hummus (or if you’d prefer low-fat mayo, or both!)
- pepper to taste
- 2 pieces of whole grain bread
- 2 thin slices of avocado
- Cook bacon until crispy, drain on paper towel and keep wrapped in foil to remain warm.
- Toast bread to desired crispyness.
- Start the sandwich building process, here’s how I layer it:
- Mayo on one bread slice, hummus on the other (optional, you can just do one or the other). Sprinkle the pepper to taste.
- Then add your slice of cheese and place bacon on top of that.
- Then add your lettuce and tomato, stacking carefully. Top with avocado slices.
- Finish off by placing the other slice of bread on top and pressing down lightly to get everything in place. Now you’re ready to eat!
- If you still want the taste of normal bacon but a little less fat, go for center cut bacon, it has at least 25% less fat.
- For fun, or to get more protein, add a fried egg to the stack. It tastes great!
- Try substituting or adding red, green or yellow pepper instead of tomato or avocado. Or just add it to the pile.
- Sprinkle some garlic powder or red pepper flakes inside the sandwich for more of a kick!
Number of servings (yield): 1
This recipe is part of our friend FaveDiet’s Healthy Hop, be sure to check out other healthier low-cost recipes bloggers are sharing!
Also if you’re looking for another awesome sandwich idea that’s a bit healthier, try something new like this Avocado Salmon Sandwich. Live a little!
What about you, do you have a preference for a BLT, any other awesome tips or additions – or omissions!? Let us know.