There’s no good reason to mess with a classic, so we didn’t. This Vintage Italian Crescent Casserole Recipe is pretty close to the Pillsbury favorite of the 1970s.
Crescent casserole recipes are the perfect combination of hearty meat and sweet, soft dough. They’re great for family dinners because they’re so quick and easy, which is why crescent casseroles have stuck around for decades. If you’re a fan of Italian flavors, our Test Kitchen creation won’t disappoint you. Perfectly seasoned ground beef served in a sweet, flaky crescent crust is enough to get our stomachs’ rumbling.
Give this Vintage Italian Crescent Casserole recipe a try and you’ll see that it’s an instant hit!
Vintage Italian Crescent Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 small clove garlic, minced fine
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Italian dry seasoning (including red pepper flakes if desired)
- 1 cup Mariana-type spaghetti sauce
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 8-ounce tube refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a 10-inch skillet, cook ground beef over medium heat for about 5 minutes, breaking up meat with a spoon and stirring frequently. Add onion, garlic, and seasonings and cook, stirring for 5 more minutes. Drain if necessary, then add the spaghetti sauce and heat just until bubbly
- Spoon meat mixture into a deep-dish pie plate.
- Mix mozzarella cheese and sour cream together in a small bowl and spoon evenly on top of the meat.
- Unroll crescent rolls and cut apart at perforations. Position them around the top of the pan with points in the center.
- Stir together the Parmesan and butter and brush over the top of the rolls. Bake for 20-25 minutes until rolls are completely baked in the center and top is golden brown. Cut into wedges to serve.
What’s your favorite Italian food?
Latest posts by RecipeChatter (see all)
- Eat Like It’s Friday Every Day: 10 Copycat TGI Friday’s Recipes - December 6, 2017
- 10 Dump Dinners for Weekends - November 4, 2017
- 12 Top Rated Chicken Casseroles In Our Latest eBook - May 17, 2017