Today is Day 9 of our 12 Days of Christmas Giveaway. You can enter each day to win the prize of the day! Contest rules and how to enter are below.
Today’s Tutorial – How to Set the Perfect Table
On the ninth day of our 12 Days of Christmas Giveaway, my true love gave to me…this How to Set the Perfect Table tutorial inspired by WMF!
Picture this scene. It’s Christmas, and everyone in your family is helping to get your big Christmas meal ready to eat. To help speed things along, Grandma decides to delegate tasks, and without a moment’s hesitation, she looks at you with those serious grandmotherly eyes and says, “Set the table.” Even if you’ve never set a table before, you know as well as anyone that you don’t disobey a command from Grandma. Table setting, for better or worse, is now your challenge. While Grandma heads into the kitchen to finish putting the final touches on her world-famous candied yams, you look at the dining room table. All of the dishes and silverware are stacked neatly into piles, but you have no idea where anything goes. As you stand there dumbfounded, you wish you paid attention to those etiquette lessons in elementary school.
Have you ever been in this situation before? We have, and we’re going to teach you how to set the perfect table, so you don’t have to turn a napkin into a white flag.
- Dinner plates
- Small butter plates
- Silverware (forks, knives, spoons)
- Optional: salad bowls
How to Set the Perfect Table
- Center a large dinner plate before each table setting.
- Place the forks to the left of the plates. If there is more than one fork for each setting, place the forks in order of use. The fork closest to the plate should be the last one to be used. If you have a salad prepared before the main course, place the salad fork to the left of the dinner fork. The idea is to order silverware from the outside in.
- Place the knives to the right of the plate, with the cutting edge facing the plate. If there is more than one knife, place the knife that is to be used last closest to the plate.
- Set the spoons to the right of the knives.
- Napkins can be neatly folded and placed in one of three places. Napkins can go either to the left of the fork or on top of the dinner plate. If you’re at a premium for space, napkins can also be placed underneath the forks.
- Butter plates are placed above the forks and to the left of the dinner plate.
- Glasses are placed on the right side of the dinner plate and just above the knifes. If there is more than one glass for each table setting, you can arrange them based on what order they will be used (first to last) or by size (small to large).
- If you have a small appetizer plate or a salad bowl to be eaten with the meal, place these dishes on top of the dinner plate. Otherwise, appetizer and salad plates should be placed left of the forks.
Enter to Win This WMF Silk 20-Piece Flatware Set
WMF has been on the cutting edge of design, function, and the development of new materials and manufacturing technologies. For more than 150 years, WMF has been turning cooking, eating, and drinking into an experience. That is a commitment and challenge at the same time. WMF observes the latest trends with curiosity and is always on the lookout for perfect luxury.
In order to win today’s 12 Days of Christmas Giveaway, all you need to do is leave a comment on this blog post below telling us:
What’s your favorite holiday centerpiece?
OFFICIAL RULES FOR DAILY CONTEST:
- There is a maximum of one entry per person. The entry will be based upon a comment left on this blog post. Duplicate comments will be deleted and are not tallied.
- Winner will be selected at random from the comments on this blog post.
- Winner will be announced here on the blog December 19, 2016 as well as contacted by the email address provided.
- You have until tomorrow, December 16, 2016 at 11:59p EST to leave your comment on the tutorial above. Comments posted after that will not be counted.
- Contest open to anyone 18+ in US and/or Canada excluding Quebec.
Check out the rest of the 12 Days of Christmas giveaway series. There are still 3 chances to win!
THIS CONTEST HAS ENDED.
Congrats to Leah S!
You’ve won a WMF Silk 20-Piece Flatware Set! You will receive and email shortly.
Be sure to enter our sleigh of prizes giveaway to win each of our giveaways featured! A $700+ Value!
Latest posts by RecipeLion (see all)
- 9 Comfort Casseroles to Welcome Fall - September 13, 2017
- Foodie Interview: Diane Roark - September 12, 2017
- 15 Classic Dessert Recipes with a Twist: Cakes, Cookies, and More Everyone will Love - September 4, 2017