In the middle of summer, one of the most refreshing ways to cool down without loading up on unnecessary calories is with a crisp, summer salad. We were feeling a bit hungry this week, so we whipped up a 24 Hour Veggie Salad (named appropriately, because you let it chill in your refrigerator for 24 hours before indulging). You don’t have to worry about getting your daily veggie intake with this salad, because it features a variety of some of your favorite vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, mushrooms and peas. We also used some very useful salad products from Dexas International, which we’ll be giving away this week (scroll down to the end of this post for details).
Craving some fresh veggies? Check out the recipe for our delicious salad below!
24 Hour Veggie Salad
- 4 torn iceberg lettuce, romaine, spinach, leaf lettuce, and/or Bibb lettuce
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup broccoli flowerets
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 6 slices turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup shredded low-fat Swiss or low-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Wash lettuce and veggies, and dry in a salad spinner (we used Dexas’s Turbo Fan Collapsible Salad Spinner).
- Place lettuce in a 3-quart salad bowl.
- If desired, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Layer atop lettuce in the following order: mushrooms, broccoli, and/or peas, carrots, eggs, bacon, 1/2 cup of the cheese, and green onions. Spread dressing over top of salad.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- Before serving, toss to coat vegetables.
This week, we’re giving away a Dexas Salad Gift Basket, which includes a collapsible salad spinner, a cutting board and a pair of tongs. All of these products are dishwasher safe, easy to store and super easy to use. These utensils are a must-have if you’re going to be making lots of summer salads!
What is your favorite summer salad to bring to potlucks?