First off, am I the only one who thinks blueberries aren’t all that…blue? They look pretty purple to me. “Purpleberry” is quite a mouthful, though.
Anyway, strawberries often seem to get all of the press in the summer, but beautiful blueberries are also in season. As the opposite-color cousin of a strawberry, blueberries are tiny little bites that are filled with flavor. Oh yeah, and they’re a superfood. They are chock-full of antioxidants and potassium and also have anti-inflammatory properties.
So why do strawberries get all of the credit?! I vote to bring the blueberry back into the limelight and highlight all of the delicious desserts that we can make with this tart-sweet berry.
8 Berry Delicious Blueberry Recipes
1. Blueberry Lavender Ice Cream – This impressive ice cream seems fancy because of the lavender, but it’s a simple recipe made with fresh ingredients–what more could you want?
2. Wild Blueberry Fool – You’d be a fool to not try this creamy dessert. With just a few ingredients, this combination of fresh blueberries and homemade whipped cream is hard to beat.
3. Brilliant Blueberry Crumble Pie – Homemade pie crust and tart blueberries come together for this delicious dessert–it won’t last long, so you might want to make a double batch!
4. Raw Blueberry Cheesecake – 2 words: Make. Ahead. 2 more words: No. Bake. What more could you possibly want from a fruit dessert?
5. Blueberry Pie – Tried and true, the flavor of the blueberries pops against the homemade gluten free pie crust.
6. Blueberry Espresso Brownies – I know what you’re thinking–blueberries, chocolate, and espresso? Trust me, it works. Antioxidant and caffeine boost? Sounds like a win!
7. Blueberry Marshmallow Buttermilk Cupcakes – Mini marshmallows go into the batter whole and melt as the batter cooks…can you say delicious?
8. Blueberry Buckle – (Almost) naturally sweetened with just applesauce and the blueberries, it’s healthy enough to eat for breakfast, too!