I love meat loaf because it’s one of those dishes that are a little labor intensive to make, but once it’s done, you have several meals out of it. I remember coming home from college on short breaks and my mom would hand me portioned off pieces of meat loaf that I could easily heat up for dinners upon my return to school. I loved it!
Meat loaf is also a nutritious dish, as it often incorporates the use of vegetables, and sometimes even whole hard boiled eggs cooked inside. If you’re interested in finding some good meat loaf recipes, we have a collection of 10 Of Our Most Unique Meatloaf Recipes all in one place.
From our collection of 10 recipes, I really like this recipe for Bacon and Triple Tomato Meat Loaf, as it incorporates some unusual ingredients such as bacon and sun-dried tomatoes.
Here’s a closer look at Bacon and Triple Tomato Meat Loaf:
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sweet green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup tomato juice
- 1 1/3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 6 slices beefsteak tomato, 1/4-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
1. In skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
2. Meanwhile, soak sun-dried tomatoes in boiling water for 5 minutes or until softened. Drain.
3. In large bowl, beat egg lightly, add bacon, sun-dried tomatoes, green pepper, onion, bread crumbs, tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Mix in beef. Pack into 8- x 4-inch loaf pan. Lay slices of tomato on top, overlapping slightly, brush with oil.
4. Bake in 350 degree F oven for about 1 hour or until no longer pink inside and tomato slices are roasted. Drain off fat. Serve with your favorite mashed potatoes and mushrooms and green beans.
If you’re looking for a healthier meat loaf, we also included a recipe for Ground Turkey Meatloaf in our collection.
If you prefer slow cooking, our sister site, AllFreeSlowCookerRecipes.com has a collection called A Cut Above: 10 Of Our 5-Star Beef Slow Cooker Recipes. In that collection, you’ll find some amazing ground beef slow cooker recipes for meatloaf, such as the recipe for Spicy Glazed Meat Loaf.
If you’re looking for beef slow cooker recipes beyond meat loaf, A Cut Above: 10 Of Our 5-Star Beef Slow Cooker Recipes also has recipes for slow cooker roasts and steaks. You can also search additional slow cooker beef recipes on AllFreeSlowCookerRecipes.com.