For a while now we’ve been seeing a trend in cowboy recipes. There’s something about dishes from the Wild West that just seem to intrigue us. Maybe it’s that rugged cowboy image that makes us curious… we’ll have what he’s having. Or maybe it’s the fact that the cowboy lifestyle is all about being an outlaw… no rules, just good taste… that’s the way I like to run my kitchen at least! Whatever it is, what I do know is that cowboy meals are just plain delicious and we have a wagon-full of them over at RecipeLion.com. In fact, we have an entire free printable recipe collection of 27 Authentic Western Recipes that you should definitely check out, if you haven’t already.
By far the most popular of all of our cowboy recipes, however, is the unparalleled cowboy casserole. Made with hearty hamburger, creamy mushroom soup, peas, onion and Cheddar cheese, and then topped off with a crave-worthy layer of perfectly golden tater tots, this casserole recipe is the ultimate in comfort food, and it’s just the kind of dish a cowboy would want to eat after a long day at the ranch.
Serve this beefy casserole for a weeknight family dinner and every plate is sure to be licked clean! Here’s what some of our readers had to say about the recipe and how they mixed it up for their own families:
-Loved it. Easy to make. Good eats!
-Easy and delicious!! I added some red chili pepper to the meat mixture and it was great!
-Easy and so tasty. You know a recipe is good when you bring leftovers for lunch and everyone around you wants to know what you’re eating !
-Very tasty! Used shredded potatoes. Used diced tomatoes instead of soup. Delish!
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (10.75-ounce) cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas
- garlic powder, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese
- 1 pound bag tater tots
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cook the hamburger with the onion in a skillet until the pink is gone.
- Drain extra fat. Stir in the soup and peas.
- Sprinkle generously with garlic powder and pepper.
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and spread the hamburger mixture over the bottom of the pan.
- Toss the cheese with the frozen tater tots and spread over the casserole.
- Bake for approximately one hour, until cheese is bubbly.
What would you add to this cowboy casserole to make it your own?
Latest posts by RecipeLion (see all)
- 15 No-Bake Cake Recipes: Cheesecakes, Icebox Cakes, and More for Any Occasion - July 16, 2019
- Strawberry Icebox Casserole - July 14, 2019
- 11 Slushy Drinks for Summer - July 12, 2019