Creating a warm, home-cooked meal can be a source of comfort in tough times. But with our struggling economy, blowing a paycheck on gourmet food products and overpriced groceries is the last thing we want to do. The Editors at RecipeLion appreciate the beauty of an economically-sound (but of course still delicious!) meal. We have many recipes on the site that work perfectly for those with a tight budget. Here are a few quick tips and ideas for cooking on a budget:
- Casseroles are a great dinner to make without spending much money. Most casseroles require no culinary skill and can utilize just about any ingredients you like, so you can end up with a meal for 8 for under $2 per serving. Try Grandma’s Favorite Mexican Chicken Casserole.
- Make a soup, stew or chili. The beauty of soup is that there are infinite combinations of stock, vegetables, proteins and seasonings that you can use to create whatever flavor profile you desire. You can adjust the cost of the ingredients accordingly (use boxed chicken stock instead of making your own), and create a large batch that will feed a crowd. Leftovers can be frozen for a quick meal later on. Seek comfort in our Classic Chicken Noodle Soup.
- For a treat, whip up a batch of cookies. Common baking ingredients are generally inexpensive, and you may already have some lying around the pantry. For just a few dollars, you can have cookies for days. Mix up our Almond Kiss Cookies tonight.
- Your Dump and Go Meal Plan - October 17, 2020
- 5 Reasons It’s Totally Okay to Eat Dessert for Breakfast - October 6, 2020
- 12 Healthy Casserole Recipes for Hectic Weeknights - October 4, 2020