Summer is beginning to wind down, which means beautiful sunny days perfect for picnics will soon be few and far between. Packing up a picnic and taking it to a park or beach with a friend or loved one is a great way to enjoy a delicious meal. Picnics are perfect for trying out new salad, fruit or sandwich recipes. But when you are toting food outside into the hot sun, you always have to make sure you focus on food safety. Here are a few quick tips, followed by some of our healthy picnic-friendly recipes, to help keep your outdoor meal delicious and safe.
- Decide how much you want to bring and portion out your food ahead of time. That way you won’t have to worry about storing or chilling leftovers (or attracting bugs).
- When packing perishable food, be sure to pack directly into a cooler that is chilled to about 40 degrees F. Use square and rectangular tupperware (instead of round) to fit more items in your cooler.
- If you are driving to your destination, keep the cooler in the air-conditioned car, rather than the warm trunk. Be sure to keep the cooler in the shade once you arrive and avoid opening and closing the lid constantly.
RecipeLion has a number of great picnic recipes. From cold salads to inventive sandwiches, you are sure to find a new recipe that you’ll love. To feed your sweet tooth, try wrapping up your latest batch of cookies or brownies, both of which are crowd-pleasing desserts that travel well.
Delicious and Easy Picnic Recipes
Latest posts by RecipeLion (see all)
- Halloween Candy Bark Recipe - October 15, 2019
- 5 Reasons It’s Totally Okay to Eat Dessert for Breakfast - October 12, 2019
- 12 Healthy Casserole Recipes for Hectic Weeknights - October 11, 2019