Have you been looking for a fantastic recipe for easy chicken enchiladas? Look no further! This tasty recipe will satisfy your craving for chicken enchiladas in a very yummy way. Try it yourself and you’ll see what I mean.
What you’ll need:
- 2-3 lbs chopped cooked chicken
- 1 can (4.5 oz) chopped mild green chilies
- 1 onion, chopped
- Mexican gravy, see recipe below
- 4 oz.s shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 oz.s shredded mild or sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped black olives
- 8 corn tortillas
How to make it:
- In mixing bowl, stir together chicken, chilies, onion and 1 cup of Mexican gravy.
- In your slow cooker, place foil handles (see directions below).
- Dip tortilla in Mexican gravy and lay in slow cooker.
- Spread about 3 tablespoons of chicken filling over tortilla, and sprinkle with cheese and olives.
- Continue layering process until the top of slow cooker has been reached. Final layer should be cheese and olive layer.
- Pour any excess gravy over top of tortilla stack.
- Cook on Low 4 to 6 hours or on High for 1.5 to 2.5 hours.
To make the Mexican Gravy, you’ll need:
- 1/2 stick margarine or butter (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 c. chili powder
- 1/3 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. crushed oregano
- 3 cans (15 oz. ea.) chicken broth
- 1 can (12 oz.) tomato sauce
- Melt margarine in saucepan.
- In a bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to margarine, stirring constantly. Mixture will become crumbly.
- Slowly add chicken broth to margarine mixture, stirring constantly.
- Stir into tomato sauce.
To make the foil handles:
- Tear off three 18×2-inch strips of heavy foil or use regular foil folded to double thickness.
- Crisscross the foil strips in a spoke design and place in slow cooker to make lifting of tortilla stack easier.
Be sure to check out our other great easy Mexican recipes too, like these 15 quick Mexican recipes.
Have a favorite? Leave a comment, tell a friend!