We are excited to announce the newest addition to the RecipeChatter blog, the recently-launched FaveSouthernRecipes.com! FaveSouthernRecipes.com is committed to bringing you Southern recipes for every occasion. All of our recipes are quick and easy to prepare so that everyday, at-home cooks can prepare authentic Southern food recipes in their own kitchens. Our goal is to bring you recipes that are approved by born-and-bred Southerners and Yankees alike.
Below you will find 8 of our favorite Southern soul food recipes. We have included some main dishes, side dishes, and dessert recipes, so that you can plan an entire menu with your favorite recipes. From fried chicken to macaroni and cheese to a good Southern biscuit, you will find a wide variety of recipes below that will comfort and satisfy you.
8 Essential Soul Food Recipes
- Lana’s Country Fried Steak – Serve this country fried steak recipe with mashed potatoes and gravy for a truly Southern meal.
- Aunt Ethel’s Fried Chicken – No one does it like Aunt Ethel. Learn all of her tips and tricks that will help you make the best fried chicken possible.
- Cajun Greens and Cornbread – It’s not a Southern meal unless you have a heap of greens on your plate. This recipe makes a flavorful batch of greens that is good and good for you.
- Real Macaroni and Cheese – Forget the blue box and start making macaroni and cheese from scratch. Your family and your taste buds will thank you.
- Simple Shrimp and Grits – Experience Southern simplicity at its finest with this recipe for creamy grits with succulent shrimp.
- Good Ol’ Lard Biscuits – This recipe combines only five ingredients to make a batch of classic lard biscuits that will make the perfect accompaniment to any meal.
- Classic Fried Green Tomatoes – Fried green tomatoes are a staple of the South, and this classic recipe is as simple and delicious as can be.
- Southern Banana Pudding – Layers of vanilla wafer cookies, homemade custard, fresh banana slices, and meringue make for a quintessentially Southern dessert that is sure to remind you of your childhood.
Be sure to check out The Essential Guide to Soul Food, complete with 35 soul food recipes! You can also get Southern recipes like these delivered to your inbox every week by subscribing to Everyday Southern Comfort, the FaveSouthernRecipes newsletter.
What is your favorite type of soul food?