Summer is coming to an end, and to me the start of fall means one thing: apple season! I’ve always loved apple pie like the kind my mom used to make, and I wanted to find a way to remix the classic recipe. These Gooey Apple Pie Bars are a twist on the American classic that turn apple pie into delicious caramel apple bars that are perfect for serving at a party or for family dinner.
If the crust is your favorite part of apple pie, you’ll definitely love these Gooey Apple Pie Bars. Crust surrounds the sweet apple filling on the top and bottom! What makes these bars “gooey” are the chunks of caramel sprinkled throughout and caramel sauce drizzled on top.
Don’t be intimidated by the thought of rolling out two pie crusts! Watch our short video to learn a trick to rolling out the dough. Using wax paper helps you easily handle the crust to create these delicious bars.
Make a big pan of Gooey Apple Pie Bars this fall for a delicious dessert that looks as good as it tastes. Serve with a scoop of ice cream or dollop of whipped cream on top … and don’t forget extra gooey caramel sauce!
Gooey Apple Pie Bars (A Test Kitchen Original)
Makes: 16 – 24 bars
Preparation Time: 30 min
Cooking Time: 35 min
Cooking Vessel Size: 15×10-inch baking sheet
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter
- 3 1/4 cups flour, divided
- 10 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup caramel candies or bits
- Caramel sauce
More Apple Pie Remix Recipes
1. Apple Pie Cups (shown)
- 5 Reasons It’s Totally Okay to Eat Dessert for Breakfast - October 5, 2022
- 12 Comfort Casseroles to Welcome Fall - September 28, 2022
- 15 Classic Dessert Recipes with a Twist: Cakes, Cookies, and More Everyone will Love - September 25, 2022