A special thanks to Dawn Richards from D.M.R Fine Foods for this guest post on how to make a smoothie. It’s the perfect time of year for smoothie recipes!
We’re well into the Summer season now and there’s no shortage of heat waves to go around. So when the temperatures are spiking, and I’m craving a cool, refreshingâ€”and healthyâ€”reprieve, there’s nothing better than a smoothie.
And even better is that smoothies are so easy to make on your own at home. This was a welcomed realization for me after I jumped on the â€œsmoothie bandwagonâ€ several years back and began collecting punch holes on my frequent buyer card. Not only were the smoothies pricey, but they often packed a lot of extra sugar.
So after a short run, I began my foray into homemade smoothies, and now I rarely find myself enjoying them any other way. Along with the substantial savingsâ€”for the cost of one purchased smoothie, I can typically make 3-4 smoothies with ingredients already on handâ€”my homemade smoothies were also a great vehicle for getting in my fruit and/or vegetable servings and a great base for extra nutrients.
My mixed fruit smoothie is a favorite. I love to mix the fruit depending on what I have on hand and what’s in season. I love to make tropical and all berry varieties, but using any combination of frozen fruit will leave you with a delicious, frothy sip every time.
Recipe: Mixed Fruit Smoothie
- 8 ounces orange juice, plus additional tablespoons water, as needed
- 1 cup mixed fruit, frozen
- Juice of half a lime
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave nectar
- Add ingredients to a blender and blend until fully mixed, about 45 seconds.
- Serve in your favorite glass and enjoy!
Additional Tips for Making The Best Smoothie Recipe:
- Use a variety of ingredientsâ€”in season fresh fruit and vegetables are great and can even be frozen for enjoyment long after they’re no longer in season
- Substitute juice with water or soy milk, if preferred
- Mix in yogurt for a thicker texture and a calcium boost
- Add in extra nutrients like flax seed oil and green tea powder
Favorite Ingredients For Creating Your Own Mixed Smoothie Recipe:
*Strawberries *Blueberries *Spinach *Mango
*Peaches *Grapes *Raspberries *Papaya
*Bananas *Watermelon *Blackberries *Pineapple
About the Author:
Dawn M. Richards is the owner of the food brand, D.M.R. Fine Foods, an award-winning home chef, caterer, culinary instructor, blogger, minister of the Gospel and J.D., who works in the corporate arena as a Senior Commercial and Contracts professional. As an avid food lover, Dawn enjoys sharing her passion for all things culinary. Visit Dawn online at dmrfinefoods.blogspot.com to learn more.