The husband loves Thai Yellow Curry. It’s pretty much guaranteed that when we visit a Thai restaurant, he will order some form of curry: Yellow, Panang, Red, and occasionally Green. He’ll never order a stir fry or noodles, although he does like Pad Thai from time to time.
I love curry too.
But, I usually order stir frys at Thai restaurants because the curries are SO heavy and full of cream and oil.
So of course my mission became: to makeover Thai Yellow Curry in our kitchen – making it healthier but still “husband approved” and restaurant quality!
My main healthy swaps included:
- Light coconut milk instead of regular
- TONS of spices instead of cream/oil
- TONS of veggies for great texture
Thai Yellow Curry with Veggies, Cashews and Tofu
- 2- 3 cups light coconut milk ( about 20 oz)
- 3- 4 tablespoons high quality curry powder (I like the one from Trader Joe’s)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt ( or more to taste)
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 3- 5 medium garlic cloves, chopped (adjust the amount of garlic based on how spicy you like it)
- 8 ounces firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- Veggies: 2 heads of broccoli , 1 pound asparagus – chopped, 1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped cashews, toasted
- a handful of cilantro, loosely chopped (optional – I like cilantro but the husband doesn’t, so I omitted this)
- 1/8- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (if you like things spicy)
- Cumin, cardamom and pepper ( to taste – I used about 1 tsp cumin, a sprinkling of cardamom, and a pinch of pepper)
- Brown rice for serving
- Cut all your veggies. Saute the onion and 2 cloves chopped garlic in 1/2 tsp olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add 2 Tbsp curry powder and salt and stir until combined.
- Add the coconut milk to the onion mixture, bring to simmer and work out any clumps. Stir in the tofu and cook for a few minutes until the tofu has absorbed most of the flavors. Simmer the liquid on low heat until it has cooked down slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan, saute the broccoli, asparagus, and pepper (or whatever veggies you use) with 2 cloves chopped garlic over medium heat. Add salt, cayenne, and remaining curry power/cumin and other spices to taste. Cook until veggies are crisp.
- Pour tofu/coconut milk mixture over veggies (in the pan) and stir to combine.
- Add additional spices as needed. Cook through for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cashews. Serve with brown rice.
Have you ever made Thai food at home?
Latest posts by FaveHealthyRecipes (see all)
- 15 Healthy Dump Dinners for Lazy People - August 25, 2019
- Have Your Cake and Eat It Too With These Healthy Cake Recipes - July 26, 2019
- The Beginner’s Guide to Eating Healthy - June 13, 2019