There’s nothing I love more than fresh veggies, and nothing I dislike more than subprime veggies. Cooking with fresh vegetables is a flavor revelation. Right now, delicious fresh veggies are easy to find. Unfortunately, I know this will not last. I can always find fresh veggies in July and August, but not always in December and January.
Fortunately, for the times when I cannot find fresh veggies, I know I do not have to exclude vegetables from my diet thanks to frozen vegetables. I absolutely love frozen vegetables. They are a cheap and plentiful source of vegetable flavor that can be easily enjoyed year-round. The freezing process locks in that vegetable flavor.
If you have a hard time finding or affording fresh vegetables, then reach for frozen vegetables. Let this recipe show you just how flavor frozen vegetables can have.
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 1 hr
- 1 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 4 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 19-ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 32-ounce package frozen Tater Tots
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Cook ground beef until just beginning to brown and drain excess fat. If you use extra lean ground beef, you can omit this step.
3. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
4. Spread drained, partially cooked, ground beef into bottom of dish, covering entire bottom, gently tamping beef down.
5. Sprinkle ground beef with diced onions.
6. Layer frozen vegetables as next layer.
7. Cover with the soup, carefully spreading with spatula to cover entirely.
8. Layer Tater Tots on top, covering entire top with Tots.
9. Bake at 375 degrees F for 1 hour, or until hamburger is done, checking after 30 minutes. If Tots are getting too brown, lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
For more great recipes with fresh and frozen vegetables, click here.
- 14 Healthy Soup Recipes For When You Have the Sniffles - December 28, 2020
- 15 Best Healthy Recipes for Your New Year’s Resolutions - December 26, 2020
- 7 Day Healthy Meal Plan for Beginners - December 14, 2020