Of all the different types of nuts, none can match the unique flavor of a pecan. Full of rich, buttery flavor, pecans taste great in desserts, in savory dishes or in the palm of your hand. Pecans are also a great, healthy source of protein and antioxidants amongst other nutrients. Enjoy this Southern treat tonight and rediscover its flavor possibilities. Let us show you how to highlight the rich taste of pecans in a 4-course meal. Start with a Cottage Cheese Loaf with pecans for the appetizer. For the starter, pair pecans with sweet potatoes to make Ambrosia Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. Make a sweet and savory main course dish of Pecan Pork Chops. Enjoy sweet hearty Bisquick Pecan Fingers for dessert. No matter the dish, any recipe with pecans is bound to be delicious.
Appetizer: Cottage Cheese Loaf With Green Pepper
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 1 hr
- 4 eggs
- 2 packages George Washington golden broth (veg chick flavor broth)
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 cup cottage cheese
- 2/3 cup margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 box Special K cereal, crushed
1. Combine all ingredients and mix well.
2. Press into greased square pan and cover with tinfoil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
3. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes.
Starter Dish: Ambrosia Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Preparation Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 50 min
- 1 (B-ounce) sweet potato
- 3 tablespoon light sour cream
- 2 tablespoon marshmallow creme
- 1 tablespoon sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon chopped pecans
- 4 teaspoon drained, crushed pineapple
- 4 dried apricot halves, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash the sweet potato, pat dry and pierce in several places with a fork.
2. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or cook in a microwave oven on high (100 percent power) 5 minutes to 7 minutes, or until tender when pricked with a fork. Let cool slightly.
3. Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl; blend well. Working lengthwise, slice sweet potato in half. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh leaving a 1/4 inch shell of the flesh in each half.
4. Place the scooped-out potato in a bowl, mash lightly with a fork; add about half the pineapple mixture; blend well.
5. Spoon this mixture back into the potato halves and top each with the remaining pineapple mixture.
Main Dish: Pecan Pork Chops
- 6 tablespoon margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup herb seasoned stuffing mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 Center cut chops, 1 1/2 inch thick, with pocket for stuffing
- 1/2 cup apple juice
1. In large skillet, melt 4 tablespoon margarine over medium heat. Add celery, pecans and onion, saute until tender. Mix in stuffing mix, parsley, salt, and pepper.
2. Stuff mixture into pork chops. Melt remaining margarine in skillet, slowly brown chops on both sides.
3. Transfer to shallow baking dish, pour apple juice over chops.
4. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until tender.
Dessert: Bisquick Pecan Fingers
Cooking Time: 10 min
- 1 cup Bisquick
- 1/4 cup soft butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla
- 3 tablespoon boiling water
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In mixing bowl blend Bisquick, butter, nuts, sugar and flavoring. Add boiling water; stir vigorously with fork until dough forms a ball and cleans the bowl.
3. Shape dough in 24 fingers 2 and 1/2 inches long. Place on ungreased baking sheet.
4. Bake 10 to 12 minutes. While warm, roll each finger in granulated or confectioners sugar.
For more great recipes and cooking tips for nuts , click here.
Pecans are not the only tasty nuts with great cooking applications. Almonds are also great to use in the kitchen too.