Breakfast casserole recipes are a great way to enjoy a delicious and simple meal on Christmas morning. The beauty of breakfast casseroles is that many can be made the day before, left overnight in the fridge, and baked off in the morning. This prevents you from spending all of Christmas morning in the kitchen and allows you to spend more time with friends and family. In addition to being super simple to make, breakfast casserole recipes are versatile. You can make a breakfast casserole out of any of your favorite breakfast ingredients; whether it be hash brown breakfast casserole you’re after or a baked French toast casserole, it can be done simply and easily. The most popular breakfast casseroles are baked egg casseroles that can include your favorite veggies, bacon, sausage, cheese and more. Try our Christmas Morning Breakfast Casserole recipe this holiday season.
Christmas Morning Breakfast Casserole
The perfect way to start Christmas is with a delicious breakfast. This casserole is so easy to make ahead that all you have to do is heat it up on Christmas morning for a warm, flavorful breakfast that the whole family will love.
Cooking Time: 1 hr
* 16 slices white bread, with crusts removed
* 16 slices Canadian back bacon or ham
* 16 slices sharp cheddar cheese
* 6 eggs
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
* 1/4 cup onion, minced
* 1/4 cup green pepper, finely chopped
* 1 to 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
* 3 cup whole milk
* 1 Dash Tabasco (red pepper sauce)
* 1/4 pound butter
* Special K or crushed Corn Flakes
1. In a 9″ x 13″ buttered, glass baking dish, put 8 pieces of bread. Add pieces to cover dish entirely. Cover bread with slices of back bacon, sliced thin. Lay slices of cheddar cheese on top of bacon and then cover with slices of bread to make it like a sandwich.
2. In a bowl, beat eggs, salt and pepper. To the egg mixture add dry mustard, onion, green pepper, Worcestershire sauce, milk and Tabasco. Pour over the sandwiches, cover and let stand in fridge overnight.
3. In morning, melt butter, pour over top. Cover with Special K or crushed Corn Flakes.
4. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour at 350 degrees F. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
Serve this with fresh, cut-up fruit and hot Cinnamon Rolls.
More Breakfast Casserole Recipe Ideas
In addition to baked egg breakfast casseroles, baked French toast casseroles are a definite crowd pleaser. Most baked French toast recipes only require a few ingredients. Like many breakfast casseroles, this one can also be prepped up to a day in advance. Create your own recipes based on your favorite French toast dish and include sliced strawberries, bananas, chocolate chips, cream cheese or other toppings.
If you’re tired of the classic breakfast recipes, cook outside the box wth a unique recipe like sweet apple breakfast casserole. This casserole is like biting into a delicious apple cheese muffin. It’s made with biscuit mix, cheddar, sliced apples and bacon. Try using biscuit or baking mix in your next breakfast casserole, it would even make a delicious topping to your favorite baked egg casserole.