Cornbread is an essential part of any Southern meal. Cornbread appears to be simple but it can actually be quite tricky to make a quality batch of cornbread. Lucky for you, we have compiled some of our favorite tips and tricks for making a perfect batch of cornbread every time.
Possibly the greatest thing about cornbread is that it goes well with just about anything. Cornbread can be served with lunch, dinner, and even breakfast. A hearty slice of cornbread also makes a satisfying snack, while drizzling cornbread with honey can be the perfect sweet treat. Because cornbread is so versatile, being able to make cornbread well is an invaluable skill.
Tips and Tricks for Making Cornbread
- Don’t just preheat the oven; preheat your cast iron skillet as well. Pouring the cornbread batter into a skillet that is piping hot will help a crispy crust start to form right away.
- Use bacon fat. The recipe we made used a combination of butter and vegetable oil, but you can grease the skillet with leftover bacon fat for an amazing flavor.
- Make it interesting. Adding frozen corn kernels that have been defrosted to the batter will make the texture more interesting. Everyone will love that each bite of cornbread is bursting with sweet bits of corn.
- Make it Yankee-style. You can easily make a cornbread that is more “cakey” by increasing the amount of flour and decreasing the amount of cornmeal used. You can also increase the amount of sugar used to make it sweeter.
Now that you know some great tips and tricks for how to make cornbread, it’s time to get in the kitchen and get cooking! Here are some of our favorite easy cornbread recipes:
- Simple Southern Cornbread (shown above) – A sure thing!
- Sweet Buttermilk Cornbread (shown) – Printable!
- Lala’s Super Southern Cornbread – A classic cornbread recipe!
- Sweet Cornbread Muffins – Tastes better than Jiffy cornbread mix!
- Perfectly Moist Cornbread – Not too dry, not too sweet!
- Honey-Sweetened Cornbread – Just a hint of sweetness!
- Sweet Southern Belle Cornbread – Made with Bisquick!
What is your favorite dish to eat with cornbread?
Print This Post
Editor at FaveSouthernRecipes
FaveSouthernRecipes is dedicated to the best easy Southern recipes and cooking tips. From quick and easy dinner recipes to new and exciting dessert recipes, we find and deliver the best Southern recipes from all over the web. Plus, we feature free product reviews and giveaways of all the latest and greatest products including cooking gadgets, cookbooks, food, and more. FaveSouthernRecipes is a wonderful online resource for cooks of all skill levels.
Latest posts by FaveSouthernRecipes (see all)
- Country Favorites: 9 Southern Recipes Country-Era Taylor Swift Would Love - February 11, 2020
- 8 Easy Cast Iron Skillet Recipes - February 5, 2020
- 5 Amazing Cajun Recipes - February 1, 2020