Meatloaf is one food that most people have a very strong opinion on. It seems that people either love it or hate it. I will be the first to admit that meatloaf is not my favorite dish. I don’t love meatloaf and normally wouldn’t choose to eat it, but if I am going to eat it, then it had better taste just like my mom’s meatloaf.
In an attempt to learn how to make meatloaf just like my mom does, I took to the test kitchen. My mom does not have her exact meatloaf recipe written down, so I was armed with only a basic knowledge of what goes in it and a few simple ingredients. Surprisingly, the results were remarkably similar to the meatloaf my mom made when I was kid.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup ketchup, divided
How to Make Meatloaf:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a baking pan wrapped in tinfoil by spraying it with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, seasonings, and 1/4 cup ketchup. Stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Transfer the meat mixture to the baking pan and shape into a loaf. Spoon the remaining ketchup evenly over the meatloaf.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until cooked through. The internal temperature of the meatloaf should be around 160 degrees F. Rotate the pan halfway through cooking. Allow the meatloaf to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
How do you feel about meatloaf? Tell us in the comments!
Latest posts by FaveSouthernRecipes (see all)
- 13 Easy Cast Iron Skillet Recipes to Get You To Spring - January 18, 2020
- 7 More Southern Recipes Elvis Would Love - November 21, 2019
- Get More Bang for Your Buck: 13 Budget-Friendly Recipes - November 1, 2019