If there is one friend to the home cook, it is chicken. It is incredibly affordable. It is easy to use. It has a wide variety of uses. Best of all, it tastes great. For a quick easy chicken recipe for dinner, give this New Mexico Chicken Enchiladas recipe a try.It has only seven ingredients, making the prep work for this chicken cheese enchilada recipe a snap to assemble. Just stick it in the oven and pull out a delicious easy chicken recipe that will be devoured before your eyes. The recipes uses convenience products like canned soup to speed up the cooking process, but you can use homemade versions if you have the time.
Cooking Time: 2 hr
1 whole chicken, fryer-type, giblets removed
12 corn tortillas
1 pound Bueno frozen green chiles
1 10.5-ounce can Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup
1 10.5-ounce can Campbell’s Cream of Chicken soup
12 ounces Muenster cheese, grated
1. Put the chicken in a pot with water to cover. If you wish, you can cut the chicken into pieces to use less water to cover.
2. Simmer the chicken an hour until it is tender.
3. Cool, then remove the meat from the chicken and tear into bite-sized pieces (you can save and use the broth for something else).
4. Heat a little oil in a frying pan and briefly fry the tortillas, one at a time. Heat one side in the oil, then turn the tortilla over and cook the other side. The tortillas should be very soft.
5. Drain all the tortillas on a tilted plate so the the extra oil runs off.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
7. In a pot, combine the two soups, chiles and chicken; heat until it is warm.
8. In a casserole dish which is large enough to hold six tortillas, layer six of the tortillas.
9. Spoon half the chicken mixture over the tortillas and sprinkle with half the cheese.
10. Layer the remaining six tortillas.
11. Top with chicken,sauce and cheese.
12. Bake uncovered, for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees F until very hot and slightly browned on top.
This is the first part in an ongoing series. To read part two, click here.