A chicken stir fry is the ultimate cooking combination for home chefs who find themselves short on time. Chicken is a quick and versatile ingredient that is the perfect protein source. Combine that with stir fry, where high heat and large cooking surfaces means you can easily cook a meal in very little time. For an easy chicken stir fry, give this Stir-Fry Almond Chicken recipe a try. Almonds and bamboo shoots add a unique crunch to this easy chicken recipe.
This is the second part of an ongoing series. To read part one, click here.
- 1 pound skinned, boned chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup veg. oil
- 5 slices fresh ginger root
- 3 green onions, chopped in 1 inch lengths
- 1 green pepper
- 1/2 cup diced whole bamboo shoots
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup Crisp almonds (see below)
1. Dice chicken into 1 inch cubes. Combine marinade ingredients in a medium bowl; add chicken & mix well. Let stand 30 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a wok over high heat 30 seconds. Add chicken to oil. Stir-fry 30 seconds until very lightly browned.
3. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon; drain well and set aside.
4. Remove oil from wok except 2 tablespoons. Reheat oil over medium heat 30 seconds.
5. Add ginger, pepper, and bamboo shoots to oil. Stir-fry 1 or 2 minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender.
6. Combine ingredients for seasoning sauce in a small bowl; mix well and add to wok. Bring to a boil.
7. Add chicken to boiling sauce. Stir-fry until chicken is coated with sauce.
8. Add almonds; mix well and serve hot.
- 4 cups oil for deep-frying
- 1 cup almond halves
1. Heat oil in a wok over medium heat to 350 degrees F.
2. Add nuts and stir 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
3. Remove from hot oil and drain well on paper towels. Let stand 5 minutes before using.