This Valentine’s Day show your sweetie how much you love them by breaking out your baking skills. Now I know not everyone is an expert baker and I’m not taking you on some crazy baking adventure where we create the most perfectly decorated Valentine’s Day cookie complete with icing and love sayings on them (as cute as that would be!). I want to make it easier for you, and because who doesn’t love a good chewy—melt-in-your-mouth—chocolate chip cookie!?
There are some things that are just as simple as can be to bake, and chocolate chip cookie recipes can be one of those things. So impress your loved one and get at the heart of every man (with his stomach) or woman (with her love of chocolate) and make a batch of these perfect chocolate chip cookies.
Just follow along with these easy steps and try not to lick the spoon too many times along the way. 🙂
(P.S. A little birdie told me these are actually a bit healthier than your average cookie; as coconut oil has many health benefits and using some whole wheat white flour instead of just all-purpose white flour is also much healthier. But hey, you can ignore the little birdie if you care not to know that and just enjoy how yummy these are).
Now let’s get to it!
Recipe: My Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of quick oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat white flour
- 8 ounces of dark chocolate chips (I added more, using about 3/4 of the average size bag of chocolate chips, it’s up to you!)
- 1 tablespoon coffee grinds (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2) In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together eggs, coconut oil, vanilla and brown sugar until very well mixed.
3) Add the baking soda, salt and baking powder and mix well. Add the flour a little at at time mixing as you go so it doesn’t get to clumped up.
4) Add quick oats and mix until blended in.
5) Add chocolate chips and stir with wooden or other stiff spoon until well mixed.
**Here’s the obligatory close-up shot to tempt you further – wait for it…
6) Place a large tablespoon size scoop of cookie dough onto a greased cookie sheet. Be sure to leave a couple inches between cookies.
7) Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until the outside of the cookies have just slightly browned on the edges. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
Time to devour!
Or if you are making these for your sweetie; package them in a nice box or tin and decorate with a red bow.
Even better, try gluing some cute conversation hearts to the top of the box. Get creative and personalize in a way you know your sweetheart will love.
Either way though, once they get a look (and taste!) of these perfect, chewy chocolate chip cookies they’ll be in love all over again. 🙂
Hope everyone has a great Valentine’s Day! For even more amazing dessert recipe ideas for making your special someones there’s 11 Cute Dessert Recipes for Valentine’s Day or another recent post Valentine’s Day Desserts Galore!