You’ve probably heard of using zucchini in place of noodles. It’s all the rage these days, especially because it offers a low-carb alternative to pasta. However, I have to admit that “zoodles” really aren’t that great. Sure they look like noodles, but they definitely don’t taste like them. I find them quite bland and julienning zucchini into thin ribbons is an awful lot of work. I might as well just eat the pasta sauce alone, or forgo this whole zany zoodle craze all together. Just as I was feeling hopeless about my possibilities of carb-less pasta primavera, I discovered something magical. You can use spaghetti squash in place of pasta! Spaghetti squash is naturally sweet and super easy to prepare since it’s already in the shape of noodles. Plus, squash is in season. Move over, pumpkin – you’ve got competition for the title of fall’s best food.
Spaghetti squash is a wonderful substitution for pasta. It has only 40 calories and 8 grams of carbs per cup, verses traditional pasta that has 200 calories and 40 grams of carbs per cup! Besides being low-carb, it is also packed with essential vitamins and naturally gluten-free. It can be baked, boiled, sauteed, or even microwaved, but regardless of which way you choose, it’s surprisingly simple to make! Use these Step-by-Step Guide from The Dashing Dish.
Once the spaghetti squash is cooked, there are tons of different things you can do to dress up this all-star veggie. You can mix it with a homemade bolognese sauce, put it in a casserole, or add a protein on top. Spaghetti squash is so versatile and here are the recipes to prove it:
The “Lucky 13” Spaghetti Squash Recipes
- Caprese Spaghetti Squash – Complete with sweet tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and ribbons of basil.
- Spinach and Spaghetti Squash Casserole – Made with Gruyere cheese, this dish is ridiculously rich and tasty.
- Spaghetti Pie – Love the Mediterranean flavor.
- Super Easy Slow Cooker Spaghetti Squash with Meatballs (shown above) – Three ingredients, that’s all.
- Surprising Spaghetti Casserole – Even the pickiest vegetable eater will enjoy.
- Creamy Mushroom Spaghetti Squash – Truly hits the spot.
- Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai (shown above) – The vegetarian recipe is light, refreshing, and filling.
- Slow Cooker Spaghetti Squash Bowl – A hearty meal for a busy weekday.
- Simple Spaghetti Squash (shown above) – You can’t mess this up!
- Roasted Sweet Spaghetti Squash – This side dish recipe from The Pioneer Woman fancies up the vegetable with maple syrup and shallots.
- Texas Spaghetti Squash Casserole – Creamy with a little kick.
- Avocado and Egg Boat (shown above) – Next time you want to make eggs, bake them inside a spaghetti squash. It’s hip and unique.
- “Mac and Cheese” – Cheesy and comforting, without all of the calories.
Bonus Spaghetti Squash Recipes
- Spaghetti Squash Crust Pizza – If you thought cauliflower crust was crazy, this recipe from Jo and Sue is going to blow your mind.
- Asian Peanut Spaghetti Squash Stir Fry – An Asian spin on spaghetti squash that is easy to make and healthy.
- Lasagna-Stufffed Spaghetti Squash – If you’re really craving some comfort food, this spaghetti squash recipe is here for you. Spicy turkey sausage, meat sauce, creamy ricotta cheese, and brown and bubbly mozzarella cheese all packed inside a spaghetti squash. You won’t even miss the pasta.
- Baked Spaghetti Squash Carbonara – It may not be pasta, but this is some serious carbonara.
What is your favorite dish to make with spaghetti squash?