If you’re staying home this Valentine’s Day (I’m all for saving money!) one of the best ways to please a partner is to cook for them. So today we’re bringing something fancy and a little different to your table. Different is good!
This delicious chicken recipe comes from our friend Laura at realmomkitchen.com and I think it could be a great dinner to make your significant other on Valentine’s Day. I mean they say the key to a man’s heart is through his stomach right? Or guys, you could seriously wow your ladies by fixing them something delectable like this and it’s really not that hard to make.
Also Chicken recipes are a safe bet that most people will like them, so try your hand at making this luxurious Mushroom Chicken Dijon and Green Pepper Couscous. And as Laura says on her blog, don’t be afraid of couscous, it really tastes great!
Mushroom Chicken Dijon and Green Pepper Couscous
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup 100% white grape juice
- 1 onion, sliced
- juice from 2 lemons
- 2 tsp better than bouillon or 2 bouillon cubes crushed
- 24 whole peppercorns
- 2 tsp thyme
- 8 chicken breasts
- 8 oz sliced cremini mushrooms (or regular button mushrooms work too)
- 1/4 cup butter3 Tbsp flour
- 1 heaping Tbsp Dijon or honey Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp honey
How to make:
1. In a stock pot, mix together water, grape juice, onion, lemon juice, better than bouillon, peppercorns, and thyme.
2. Place chicken in the mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked.
3. Remove chicken and place on a dish. Cover with foil to keep warm while you make the sauce. Stain the broth mixture from the sauce pot thought a fine strainer and set aside.
4. In a deep skillet, saute mushroom in the butter over medium heat for about 3 minutes until tender.
5. Sprinkle mushrooms with the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add the strained broth, Dijon mustard and honey to the mushrooms. Cook while stirring until the sauce thickens. If sauce is too thin, whisk together 1 tablespoon of flour with 2 tablespoons of water until completely smooth. Slow drizzle the flour mixture into the sauce while whisking to prevent lumps. Serve chicken along side couscous (recipe below) with sauce spooned over the chicken.
For Red and Green Pepper Couscous:
Makes 8 Servings
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups couscous
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup diced red pepper
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- salt to taste
How to make:
1. In a large sauce pan, bring 2 cups of chicken broth to a boil. Quickly stir in in couscous and remove from heat. Let sit covered for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a saute pan, cook onion and peppers in olive oil until tender. Add crushed garlic and saute for 1 minute.
3. After 5 minutes, fluff the couscous with a fork and mix in the cooked pepper and onion mixture.
Well enjoy and I hope your cooking adventures are a success!
Latest posts by RecipeLion (see all)
- Fudgy Chocolate Peppermint Pie - December 10, 2019
- Delicious Desserts through the Decades - December 4, 2019
- Quick and Easy Dinner Idea: Four-Ingredient OMG Chicken - November 27, 2019