Did you know that we have an entire day dedicated to cherry popsicles? How about rice pudding? I’m going to guess that you had no idea those days existed. Well, grab your notebook because you’re going to learn so much over the next four weeks! Throughout the course of August, I’ll be posting weekly blog posts on the national food holidays for the upcoming week. Each week will feature at least seven unique recipes that correlate with the national food holiday for that specific day.
Now, I know you’re asking yourself… “What am I going to do with this information?”
I’m glad that you asked! Here is a list of reasons why you should know more about the national food holidays.
1. Match your baking and cooking experiments with the national food for that day.
2. Impress your friends, family, and co-workers with the information.
3. Have some great small talk topics available for your use.
4. Be more Patriotic.
5. Gain more (somewhat useless) knowledge.
6. Scare strangers as you run up to them and wish them a “happy ‘insert food here’ day”.
7. Become an authority on national food holidays.
8. Convince your boss that you need a day off to celebrate your favorite food.
Okay, I’m running out of ideas as to why this is all important to you. I think the main reason is that it’s fun! So enjoy these first seven recipes for the first seven days of August. You’ll find a new blog post next Friday.
- IPA Day
- Recipe of the Day: Beer Battered Fish Fry
- As if you need another excuse to grab a nice, cold beer. August 1st would be the best day to stock up on your favorite IPAs. Perhaps you’re a Flower Power fan or you can’t seem to get enough Jaipur. Not to worry, either beer would be perfect for this national food holiday. Test out this Beer Battered Fish Fry to get into the holiday spirit of IPA day.
- National Ice Cream Sandwich Day
- Recipe of the Day: Old Fashioned Ice Cream Sandwiches
- I scream, you scream, we all scream for ICE CREAM… sandwiches? The combination of vanilla ice cream and chocolate cookies is a tried-and-true favorite, so you should definitely try an Old Fashioned Ice Cream Sandwich on August 2nd.
- National Watermelon Day
- Recipe of the Day: Watermelon Snowball
- When I think of summer, I immediately think of sitting in my gazebo with my family and eating seasoned corn on the cob, juicy watermelon, and grilled brats. What could be better?! One thing that could make those moments even more delicious would be this Watermelon Snowball recipe. Because it’s cool and refreshing, this healthy treat would be perfect for a hot August day.
- National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day
- Recipe of the Day: Summer Dashboard Chocolate Chip Cookies
- The chocolate chip cookie is one of the most popular cookies. Because you probably already have your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, I wanted to give you something a little bit different. These Summer Dashboard Chocolate Chip Cookies won’t be made in the oven, so it’s a bit different from what you’re used to. This recipe would be great to make with the kids because it’s a creative way to use the hot August sun. So, on August 4th try out this awesome chocolate chip cookie recipe!
- National Oyster Day
- Recipe of the Day: Mad Men Oysters Rockefeller
- I bet you didn’t know that August 5th was National Oyster Day! To be entirely honest, I had no idea either. But now that we both know of this very important national food holiday, we should celebrate with these awesome Mad Men Oysters Rockefeller. Bonus: If you watch the hit AMC show, Mad Men, then you’ll notice that these oysters are inspired by season one’s Grand Central Oyster Bar and Restaurant.
- National Root Beer Float Day
- Recipe of the Day: Boozy Root Beer Float
- Whoever choose these National Food Holidays probably knew that by August, we’d all be sweating up a storm. In just this first week, we’ve seen a day dedicated to ice cream sandwiches and another for root beer floats. (Hint– more ice cream days will be coming soon!) This Boozy Root Beer Float is the perfect way to celebrate August 6th, so grab your ice cream and your root beer and mix them together to create the best summer drink.
- National Raspberries in Cream Day
- Recipe of the Day: Chocolate Raspberry Cream Cake
- What a great way to end the first week of August! You’ll fall in love with this Chocolate Raspberry Cream Cake recipe. Please be sure to add the candle on top because we should all be celebrating this August 7th National Food Holiday.
Looking at the first week of National Food Holidays, which recipe is your current favorite?
- 25 Last Minute Gluten Free Christmas Desserts - December 23, 2020
- How to Avoid Gluten Cross Contamination for the Holidays - November 18, 2020
- 21 Recipes You’re Doing Wrong: Try Them Gluten Free - October 21, 2020