Honestly, we can eat pizza any day of the week. Think about it, it has everything you need in your daily diet – vegetables, bread, cheese, meat, more cheese. What’s there not to like about it? What we love even more, though, is pizza’s close friend, the calzone. Just like pizza, you can put just about anything in one and they’ll always be delicious. What you decide to put in your calzone is really up to you. Be creative and get in the cooking zone with your calzone.
From the moment you take your first bite, eating a homemade calzone is like holding a piece of heaven in your hand. A piece of cheesy, meaty heaven. The crust bakes to a golden brown and has a wonderful crunch, that keeps you coming back bit after bite. Add in what ever you want and enjoy!
Cheesy Homemade Calzones
- 1 loaf frozen bread dough
- marinara sauce (recipe #18)
- 1 egg white
- 2 c. shredded mozzarella
- pepperoni slices
- 2 cooked Italian sausage links, sliced
- 3 hearty meatballs
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Flour cutting board and rolling pin.
3. Cut dough into two pieces.
4. Roll each piece into large rectangle.
5. Working with one piece at a time, spread thin layer of marinara sauce on half the dough, being careful to stay at least 1/4â€ from the edge.
6. Still keeping the dough edges clean, place your favorite toppings on marinara sauce.
7. Fold the empty top half of dough over bottom half, covering toppings completely.
8 Using fingertips, press the two edges together to seal.
9. Brush tops with eggwash.
10. Bake at 400 degrees F or until golden brown on top.
11. Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing.