You can make snickerdoodles with cake mix? You betcha!
Cream of tartar gives snickerdoodle cookies a slight tang that sets them apart from regular sugar cookies. It’s that tang that gives them their signature taste. Cream of tartar also gives the cookies the perfect amount of chewiness. Recipes for snickerdoodles that don’t include cream of tartar are impostors. Without cream of tartar, these cookies would simply be sugar cookies rolled in cinnamon sugar (not like that would be a terrible thing…).
If you’re short on time or patience and have a strong craving for a batch of snickerdoodles, then you’ve gotta try these cake mix cookies. Baking up a batch of them is, quite possibly, one of the best decisions you’ll ever make in your life.
Crazy Simple Cake Mix Snickerdoodles
3 tablespoons of sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 box of white cake mix (we used Betty Crocker)
1 stick of unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Set mixture aside.
- Thoroughly combine cake mix, butter, egg, cream of tartar, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Then, place dough balls one by one into cinnamon sugar mixture and roll them around until they’re covered. Place dough balls about two inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until set. The cookies will be softer the less you bake them. Once fully baked, remove them from the cookie sheet and transfer them to a cooling rack.
On the hunt for more snickerdoodle recipes? Including a few other snickerdoodle cookie recipes? Then check out our full collection of delicious snickerdoodle desserts right here!
What’s the easiest cake mix cookie recipe you’ve ever made?