This guest post comes to us from Featured Foodie Amanda Formaro.
I love to use my slow cooker, especially in the winter months. Days are so short as it is, time flies and it seems like dinnertime always creeps up on me. The slow cooker is a great way to be prepared for such days. Another great time saver is putting meals together ahead of time. Getting everything ready weeks or even months ahead is a fabulous way to stock your freezer with meals for busy days.
A vacuum sealer is perfect for keeping freezer burn at bay. I put this meal together using the Oliso® PRO-1000 Vacuum Sealer and it worked beautifully. When I was ready to make the meal all I had to do was defrost it and toss it into the slow cooker. Throwing together a pan of rice was all I had to do to get this meal on the table!
Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried onion
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon peanut butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 scallions, chopped
1. Slice the meat thin and coat evenly with the cornstarch, shaking off any excess.
2. Place meat into an Oliso® vacuum sealer bag and squeeze out air. Seal according to manufacturer’s directions.
3. Combine all the liquids and dry spices in a bowl, whisk in the peanut butter and stir in the garlic and scallions.
4. Pour into a zipper freezer bag, squeeze out air and seal. Freeze both bags until ready to use.
1. Defrost bags in refrigerator.
2. Pour contents of liquid ingredients back into your slow cooker crock.
3. Add meat and toss gently. Cook on low for 4 hours.
4. Serve over white rice.
Note: I like to toss extra vegetables into my dishes. For this one, I added some heads of broccoli and quartered tomatoes about 20 minutes before dinner.
What’s your favorite meal to prepare in the slow cooker?
- Quick and Easy Dinner Idea: Four-Ingredient OMG Chicken - November 25, 2020
- 4 Turkey Leftover Recipes That Aren’t Turkey Sandwiches - November 20, 2020
- Make-Ahead Baked Eggnog French Toast Recipe - November 16, 2020