Make dinner a fiesta tonight. At RecipeLion we just love all types of Mexican dishes. There are the usual suspects of tacos, burritos, and enchiladas, but we also love Mexican inspired casseroles. Loaded with cheese, hot peppers and seasoned meat, they are perfect for dinner. Some of them even have rice and beans in them, so you don’t even have to worry about making sides. It doesn’t get any easier than that.
This Mexican inspired recipe comes from our friends the Two Old Crabs, and just like Mexican casseroles, it is loaded with rice, beans, meat and cheese. Slow cooked in the beef broth, cilantro and salsa, the beef has a wonderful flavor and falls apart with ease. Plus, the Two Old Crabs also showed us how to make their famous refried beans that have bacon in them. Bacon! Wrap everything together and you may just have one of the best tasting burritos.
Stringy Beef Burritos
- 4 1/2 pounds of. beef brisket
- 14.5 oz. can beef broth
- 24 oz. container medium salsa
- 4 oz. can chopped green chili’s
- 1 large onion, rough chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 handful cilantro, stems removed, tied into bundle
- 2 tablespoons. red wine vinegar
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 package Spanish rice
- 1 can refried beans
- 1/2 pounds of bacon
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
Cook the Shredded Beef:
1. Rinse brisket and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Break cilantro from the stems & using kitchen twine, tie into a bundle.
3. Season brisket with salt & pepper.
4. Brown brisket in hot olive oil, turning to brown both sides.
5. Add beef broth, salsa, green chili’s, onion, garlic, cilantro and wine vinegar.
6. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to keep it at a gentle simmer.
7. Simmer for several hours, until the meat is fork tender & easy to shred.
8. Remove the meat and let cool enough that you don’t get burned while shredding.
9. To reheat the shredded meat, put it back in a pot of beef broth or the broth it cooked in.
Cook the Spanish Rice According to Package
For the Refried Beans:
1. Cut the bacon into small pieces, then fry until crispy. Set aside.
2. In a separate pot, saute the chopped onion in olive oil. Season with salt & pepper.
3. Add the can of refried beans & stir to incorporate the onions.
4. Add chopped cilantro and shredded cheese and stir.
5. Add the crisp bacon pieces and the bacon drippings and stir until completely incorporated.
1. Warm the burrito size flour tortilla on your burner, turning often, being careful not to burn yourself or the tortilla.
2. Place the hot tortilla on a plate.
3. Spread a dollop of sour cream across the tortilla.
4. Build layers with the shredded meat, refried beans, Spanish rice, salsa, shredded cheese, and chopped red onion.
5. Fold in the sides of the burrito.
6. Bring the top over and pull it back toward you, pushing all the ingredients into a tight bundle.
7. Roll the burrito forward and place it seam side down on your plate.
- Quick and Easy Dinner Idea: Four-Ingredient OMG Chicken - November 25, 2020
- 4 Turkey Leftover Recipes That Aren’t Turkey Sandwiches - November 20, 2020
- Make-Ahead Baked Eggnog French Toast Recipe - November 16, 2020