No matter what time of year it is, we just can’t get enough pie recipes. There are so many different variations of pies. You can have a pudding pie, a delicious fruit pie that is perfect for the Fall season, or our favorite, a french silk pie. They all sound so great and are fairly easy to make. The hardest part about making a pie is restraining yourself to just one slice and waiting to dig in as it cools on the windowsill.
Today, we are proud to bring you a pie that is typically associated with summer, as it is cool and refreshing. Topped with Cool Whip or your homemade whipped cream, it is a sweet tart treat for the family. We hope that you enjoy what we consider to be one of The Best Key Lime Pies coming from our friends the Two Old Crabs.
The Best Key Lime Pie
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks plus 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup of key lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon of key lime zest
- 3 drops of green food coloring
- 1 store bought grham cracker crust
- 1 container of Cool Whip
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In medium size bowl, mix the sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks and key lime juice until completely incorporated.
3. In another small bowl, whip the egg white until it’s thick & forms stiff peaks.
4. Gently fold the beaten egg white into the key lime pie filling until light & fluffy and mixed in.
5. Add three drops of green food coloring just to give it a little more color. Stir in completely.
6. Pour filling into pre-made pie crust or store bought graham cracker crust.
7. Bake for 15 minutes.
8. Cool completely, then garnish with Cool Whip, whipped cream or ice cream when serving. If not serving immediately, keep pie in refrigerator & garnish when you’re ready to serve.