Some of us here at RecipeLion recently took a wonderfully informative trip over to Royal Oak Farm Orchard in Harvard, IL, and we brought back a slew of wonderful recipe ideas. One of my favorites, and also a favorite at Royal Oak’s restaurant (considering they sell out of it every day) is this amazing and surprising Pecan Squash Bake.
I’ve been looking for some new and decadent recipes to try out this Thanksgiving and this one has captured my heart and taste buds! You know I’m not the only person who’s already looking up ideas for Thanksgiving, come on, admit it.
What I find most mind boggling about this Pecan Squash Bake is simply that it’s Butternut Squash! You’d never know after the first, second or even third bite. You’ll swear it’s sweet potatoes or maybe it’s pumpkin, or both, either way I guarantee you’ll love it. So to enjoy this amazing and actually pretty darn easy recipe check it out below. It will have your mouth watering and guests asking, is it a side dish? Is it a dessert? Who knows! It’s that good.
Pecan Squash Bake
- 2 cups of butternut squash, cooked and mashed
- 1/3 cup of butter
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 (5-ounce) can of evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup Rice Krispies
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
How to make it:
- Cook butternut squash in pan or pot of water on stove. Drain and mash.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugar in bowl. Beat in eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Stir in mashed squash. Pour into greased 11 x 7 x 2″ pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until set.
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle on top.
- Bake 5 more minutes.
Now you’re ready to enjoy!
Also, explore more ideas for the upcoming holiday season by taking a look at some of these delicious Thanksgiving recipes.
Finally, see some of the fun and behind the scenes with this great little video below, straight from Royal Oak’s kitchen.