Once spring arrives, I’m all about vegetable side dish recipes. Even if the vegetables I’m eating aren’t necessarily spring vegetables, I’m scarfing them down anyway. There’s just something so fresh and crisp about vegetables that makes them perfect for the springtime.
The one thing that has really surprised me the most the last few years has been Brussels sprouts recipes. Growing up, I was totally that child who wouldn’t try Brussels sprouts because they looked weird and everybody told me that they tasted terrible. I bought into the false accusations against this poor vegetable for a large portion of my life. I never even called them by their proper name and only recently figured out that they weren’t “brussel sprouts.” But then, the inevitable happened: I tried them.
All it took was one simple Brussels sprouts recipe to completely change my life. Now, I can’t come up with enough excuses or occasions to munch on the vegetable. I certainly can’t find enough Brussels sprouts recipes to satisfy my cravings.
The easy recipe below is one of the best ways to cook Brussels sprouts that I’ve come across so far. It’s simple in both preparation and taste, but still has a really great flavor. Plus, it involves bacon. What’s better than a side dish recipe with bacon? Nothing, nothing I say!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Judith Hines for RecipeChatter
1 pound Brussels sprouts
1 cup chopped red onion
2 strips bacon
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a bake sheet with foil.
- Trim off bottoms of Brussels sprouts and cut in half (or cut in quarters if they are larger than 1 inch). Place into a large bowl.
- Chop the onion and bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and add to the bowl with the sprouts. Add the oil and toss to coat well.
- Spread the mixture evenly on the bake sheet and roast 20-25 minutes until tender and browned, tossing once during the roasting.
- Remove pan from the oven and drizzle Brussels sprouts with the vinegar and salt and pepper, tossing well. Serve hot or at room temperature.
What is your favorite way to cook and eat Brussels sprouts?
- 15 Best Healthy Recipes for Your New Year’s Resolutions - December 29, 2022
- 14 Healthy Soup Recipes For When You Have the Sniffles - December 28, 2022
- 7 Day Healthy Meal Plan for Beginners - December 23, 2022