Today’s Holiday Recipe
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups soft butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup finely chopped almonds
- ½ cup dried cranberries or dried cherries
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted to remove any lumps
- 1 -2 tablespoons milk, cream or water
- Sliced almonds and dried cranberries or cherries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 10-inch Bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into a large bowl. In the bowl of an electric mixer, on medium low, blend the butter and sugar together for 3 minutes until it is very light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, then blend in the sour cream and flavorings.
- With the machine running, add the dry ingredients gradually until the mixture is well blended, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Combine the streusel ingredients in a small bowl, breaking up any brown sugar lumps with the back of a spoon.
- Spoon about 1/3 of the batter into the prepared pan and smooth with a rubber spatula. Add about half of the streusel mixture then repeat with the batter, streusel, and ending with batter. Smooth the top with a rubber scraper and bake for 60-70 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a cooling rack for 20 minutes before turning out onto a serving platter to cool completely.
- Combine the glaze ingredients and drizzle over the cooled cake. Decorate with sliced almonds and dried cranberries or cherries as desired.