Sweet and Sticky Baked Beans are a favorite in my family. No family barbecue is complete without them. If I don’t make them, my family is always disappointed!
The secret to these beans is twofold: I use a particular brand of canned beans, B&M’s Baked Beans, and I drain the liquid from the canned baked beans. So, when adding the rest of the ingredients and cooking them for an hour and fifteen minutes, the result is a delicious combination of sweet and sticky.
If you are having a crowd over for a party (think 4th of July), some of the big box stores carry these beans in 7 pound cans. This is the perfect size for a “crowd” – just double this recipe!
Sweet and Sticky Baked Beans
Serves 8 to 10
2 (28-ounce) cans of B&M Original Baked Beans (or other brand of small pea baked beans), thoroughly drained
1 pound thick-sliced bacon, all but 3 slices cut into bite-sized pieces (leave 3 slices whole for garnish)
2 yellow onions, peeled and chopped
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely minced or grated
1 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
3/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a strainer, drain the canned baked beans and set aside.
- Add sliced bacon to large skillet and cook over medium heat until crisp on both sides; remove from skillet and set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Add cut bacon to the skillet and saute over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally.
- With a slotted spoon, remove bacon from skillet and drain on paper towels, reserving bacon fat in the skillet.
- Pour off all but about 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the skillet and discard or save in the refrigerator for another use.
- Return skillet to stove top, add onions and saute’ over medium heat until onions are translucent and slightly browned around the edges.
- Add garlic and saute for a few minutes more; remove onions and garlic from heat and set aside.
- In a large, oven-proof casserole dish, combine drained beans, cooked bacon bits, onions with garlic, brown sugar, ketchup and mustard; mix thoroughly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with 3 slices of cooked bacon.
What do you eat with baked beans?
- Your Dump and Go Meal Plan - October 17, 2020
- 5 Reasons It’s Totally Okay to Eat Dessert for Breakfast - October 6, 2020
- 12 Healthy Casserole Recipes for Hectic Weeknights - October 4, 2020