After our contributor Jenni (Mama J) from A Little Bit Crunchy, A Little Bit Rock and Roll sent us her Nutty Coconut Banana Bread I was inspired to whip up some banana bread of my own. Her recipe was so delicious sounding (and looking) I couldn’t resist using her recipe as the base for what I whipped up last weekend. I have to say, this is one of the best banana bread recipes I’ve ever had or made for that matter! My husband will strongly agree :).
It’s really quite easy to make any quick bread recipe, hence the “quick” aspect; with the end result being a wonderful treat that’s great for breakfast, a snack or dessert!
Sweet Banana Coconut Bread
Recipe: Sweet Banana Coconut Bread
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon whey protein
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 egg substitute
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 /4 cup slivered almonds
- nutmeg, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the flours, flax seed, whey protein, salt and baking powder. Stir with a whisk until combined and then set aside.
- In another larger mixing bowl, beat together the coconut oil and brown sugar just until combined.
- Then beat in the eggs, egg substitute, the mashed bananas and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients on low speed, mixing just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Gently fold in the shredded coconut and chopped nuts (save some of the almonds for top).
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle the top with less than a pinch of nutmeg and what’s left of the almonds.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until golden on top and a knife comes out clean in the center.
- Cool the pan for about 8 to 10 minutes. Use a butter knife to loosen the bread, then remove from pan and let cool further on wire rack.
Cooking time: 55 minute(s)
Not only is this banana bread sweet and very moist, thanks to the nuts it’s got a nice crunch too!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe for Sweet Banana Coconut Bread.
What’s your favorite flavor of quick breads? Do you have a favorite you make during the fall/winter season?