If you’re like me, it’s hard for you to get your daily recommended amount of calcium (1,000-1,3000mg for women) and vitamin D, while still trying to fit in all of the other vitamins and minerals suggested by nutritionists. This quick and easy recipe for a zesty Mexican-inspired chicken tortilla soup with cheese will help you to reach those magic numbers while still keeping you slim. I personally love the extra zing added by the Tabasco sauce and the garlic. If you disagree, play around with the recipe; add or subtract ingredients to suit your own taste!
- 14 1/2 ounces of chicken broth (1 can)
- 1 1/2 cup of boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and seasoned (try Emeril’s Essence) and diced
- 1 medium-sized onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green or red pepper, diced (or 1/4 cup of each)
- 2 cloves of garlic diced or 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. Tabasco sauce
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 cup of baked corn tortilla chips, broken into smaller pieces
- 2 cups reduced-fat or fat-free sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 small tomato, diced (optional)
- Salt and pepper (optional)
Season chicken with your choice of seasoning and cook it thoroughly. Dice cooked chicken. In a medium-sized sauce pan, combine broth, chicken, onion, peppers, garlic or garlic powder and chili powder. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes or until onion and peppers are tender. Add a small amount of salt and pepper to suit your taste. Ladle soup into bowls and add a generous amount of cheese. To peel tomatoes, soak them for a few minutes in ice water. Lightly cut an X into the bottom of the tomato and gently peel skin. Top the soup off with diced tomatoes and tortilla chip pieces. Serve piping hot.