This Sunday is Chinese New Year. Traditionally, many who celebrate the Lunar New Year will wear red and gather with family to eat fish and noodles. Red is supposed to ward off evil spirits. Long noodles symbolize a long and prosperous life. For some, a traditional Chinese New Year meal will include a whole fish, to help ensure that the whole next year will be joyous and prosperous. For those that are not accomplished Chinese-style chefs, here are two recipes to help you celebrate the Chinese New Year at home. Serve Szechuan Beef with Vegetables on top of noodles. This recipe for Sweet and Sour Shrimp is the perfect accompaniment to a traditional Chinese fish dish.
- 12 ounces steak, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 large red pepper, in thin strips
- 1 can baby corn, drained
- 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 cups sauce
- 1/4 cup carrots, diced
- 1 teaspoon hot chili oil
1. In large skillet with oil, stir-fry beef 1/2 at a time for 3-4 min. Remove.
2. With 1 Tbsp oil, stir fry broccoli, pepper, carrots and corn 2 min. Return beef to pan and add green onions, sauce, and chili and oil. Stir for 1 min. Serve over rice or noodles.
TO MAKE SAUCE: 1/4 cup cornstarch. 2 Tbsp brown sugar. 2 tsp minced fresh ginger. 2 large cloves garlic, minced. 1/8 tsp cayenne. 1/3 cup tamari or soy sauce. 2 1/2 Tbsp cider vinegar. 3/4 cup water. 1 Tbsp chicken broth powder. 1/3 cup sherry. Combine all in a quart jar. Shake to mix well.
- 1 pound small shrimp, peeled
- 1/4 pound snow peas
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup chicken broth
1. In a pressure cooker, combine all ingredients. Close lid, bring to high pressure and lower heat. Cook 3 minutes.
2. Remove cooker from heat and release pressure.
3. If sauce needs to be thickened, place back on stove and turn heat on low and stir constantly for a few minutes. Serve hot over rice.
- 15 Best Healthy Recipes for Your New Year’s Resolutions - December 30, 2021
- 14 Healthy Soup Recipes For When You Have the Sniffles - December 29, 2021
- 7 Day Healthy Meal Plan for Beginners - December 24, 2021