Today is Day 11 of our 12 Days of Christmas Giveaway. You can enter each day to win the prize of the day! Contest rules and how to enter are below.
Today’s Recipe : Slow Cooker Coq au Vin a la Julia Child
On the eleventh day of our 12 Days of Christmas Giveaway, my true love gave to me…this Slow Cooker Coq au Vin a la Julia Child recipe from the zen of slow cooking!
- 2 ½ to 3 lbs skinless chicken thighs and legs*
- 1/3 cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices lean bacon, cut into 1” strips
- 12 baby onions, (24 pearl) peeled and left whole
- ½ lb button mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup cognac
- 1 3/4 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large sprig thyme (or a generous 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh parsley, chopped
*If you would prefer, choose 2 lbs of boneless chicken thighs instead
Place the chicken, flour, salt and pepper in a gallon size ziploc bag and shake well, ensuring the chicken is liberally coated with the mixture. In a skillet, heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil on medium high and add the chicken pieces. Brown the chicken for 2 minutes on either side until it turns a lightly golden color. Stir the remainder of the flour from the bag into the browned chicken and transfer to your slow cooker.
In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and saute the bacon, onions, and mushrooms for 4 minutes, stirring regularly, until glazed and shiny. Drain any excess fat from the skillet and transfer the mixture into your slow cooker.
Stir the cognac, wine, tomato paste, garlic, thyme, oregano, and bay leaf into the chicken mixture.
Cook on low for 7 – 8 hours or high for 3 1/2 – 4 hours.
The slow cooked chicken will fall easily from the bone into the sauce once done.
Make it a meal
Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Lighten it up
Substitute the coqnac for wine or chicken broth.
Enter to Win This zen of slow cooking Holiday Slow Cooker Gift Set
Slow cooking with the sacred intention of slowing down and creating more peace and harmony in the kitchen is the essence of the zen of slow cooking.
In order to win today’s 12 Days of Christmas Giveaway, all you need to do is leave a comment on this blog post below telling us:
What’s your favorite slow cooker recipe?
OFFICIAL RULES FOR DAILY CONTEST:
- There is a maximum of one entry per person. The entry will be based upon a comment left on this blog post. Duplicate comments will be deleted and are not tallied.
- Winner will be selected at random from the comments on this blog post.
- Winner will be announced here on the blog December 21, 2016 as well as contacted by the email address provided.
- You have until tomorrow, December 20, 2016 at 11:59p EST to leave your comment on the recipe above. Comments posted after that will not be counted.
- Contest open to anyone 18+ in US and/or Canada excluding Quebec.
Check out the rest of the 12 Days of Christmas giveaway series. There is still 1 chance to win!
THIS CONTEST HAS ENDED.
Congrats to Buddy G.!
You’ve won the zen of slow cooking Holiday Slow Cooker Gift Set! You will receive and email shortly.
Be sure to enter our sleigh of prizes giveaway to win each of our giveaways featured!
A $700+ Value!