I’m always looking for ways to stretch my dollar at the supermarket. I put together a meal plan for the week before going to the shop so that I purchase only what we need and will eat, and am not tempted by impulse buys. I can check sales online before going to the store and adjust my menu accordingly. This is especially useful for meat sales, as this is generally the most expensive item you will buy at the store. On that note, my partner and I go meatless three day/week, which is a huge cost-saver and also a good idea for incorporating more vegetables into your diet. Almost all our breakfasts and lunches are meatless too. Here are my five favorite budget-friendly recipes:
- Low-Fat Meatless Bean Burritos– Black beans are tasty, inexpensive and good for you.
- Tex-Mex Macaroni– This is another meatless dish and a definite kid-pleaser.
- Lima Bean Soup– We make soups like this for lunch. With a bit of crusty bread, they are perfect.
- Baked Potato Casserole– Who does not love the one-pot casserole dinner? This one has healthy broccoli.
- Kielbasa and Red Potato Stew– Kielbasa is a tasty and inexpensive sausage, but you can substitute pork sausages if need be.