For most of us, January means brutally cold temperatures. Even on the sunniest days, winter will chill you to the bone. After a cold day outside, nothing beats some warm soup. A bowl of soup is a classic way to cure those winter blues. Warm up today with this terrific recipe for black bean soup.
Classic Black Bean Soup
1 3/4 cup black beans, soaked overnight
12 cup water
2 teaspoon olive oil
1 1/2 cup onion, diced
2 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/2 cup green onion, diced
3/4 cup carrot, diced
3/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
2 teaspoon ground sage
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1 bouillon cube
1 dash freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Discard soaking water from beans. Beans will have swollen to much more than 1 3/4 cups, so do not remeasure the soaked beans.
2. In large, heavy bottomed soup pot, heat olive oil or water and onion, garlic, green onion, carrot, and red pepper. Add sage and bay leaf and saute for several minutes or until onions begin to wilt.
3. Add soaked and drained beans and fresh water. Bring to a boil and skim off any scum that may form on the top.
4. Reduce cooking temperature to low, cover soup and allow to cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally and taking care that heat is low enough so that beans do not stick.
5. At end of cooking time, uncover and allow soup to continue cooking as you stir in salt, if desired, bouillon and fresh pepper to taste. Discard bay leaf.
6. Use hand blender to puree soup to desired consistency, breaking down only about half the beans, or transfer half the soup to a blender, puree and return to soup pot. Adjust seasonings.
As always for more great recipes and cooking tips, check out RecipeLion.com
- 15 Best Healthy Recipes for Your New Year’s Resolutions - December 29, 2022
- 14 Healthy Soup Recipes For When You Have the Sniffles - December 28, 2022
- 7 Day Healthy Meal Plan for Beginners - December 23, 2022